non-oem AC condenser problem! :-0

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When diagnosing my ac problems, the tech said I needed a new condenser. OEM cost $800... saw a thread on here a while back recommending american condensers, which cost 1/3rd oem.

Hood off, lights out, old condenser removed, and damn if the part doesn't fit! :-( The block fitting on the original part comes out at a 45 degree angle while it's straight on the non-oem one--I haven't seen it in person so I'm not sure which fitting the tech is talking about.

This is the part that's not fitting:

http://www.americancondenser.com/info/P40280-DODGE-VIPER.html

Has anybody installed a condenser and can give me more info on this? I don't want to have to pay out the nose for an oem part, considering I'm already out $200 for the botched install job, and 20% restocking fee for this part.

OP
OP
D

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the guys at american condensers (the suppliers of most non-oem viper condensers). Their manufacturing is wrong, the upper fitting goes straight up when it should angle in 45 degrees.

Hopefully they fix this problem, they seemed helpful, but it's too late for me. The viper tech isn't likely going to agree to another attempted repair with a non-oem part.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disappointing that they would apparently continue to sell a product they know to be incorrectly manufactured.

Have you given Chuck Tator a buzz? He offers discounts on OEM parts and could tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the install process.