North America's Fastest Production Cars

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: North America\'s Fastest Production Cars

Every cars 1/4 mile number with stars by it is wrong. In fact I watched speed visions Dream car Garage test most of these muscle cars and I don't think any of them beat a 13.5. I like old muscle cars but am absolutely sick of magazines, car guys, and just regular people making them out to be something there not. There fast but not that fast.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Totaly agree with Early93Viper.

Not to mention that the other 1/2 of the list is wrong as well.

OP
OP
D

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is anyone aware of another list? Seems to be too many variables/sources to have two lists that agree.

The HP ratings with "**" next to them are addressed at the bottom of the page.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As the above posts stated these figures are like bench racers memories, great stories for grampa to tell. Check out the 69 ZL-1 Vette runs 10.90 @ 132 while the 69 Camaro Zl-1 runs 12.76 @ 107. Humm... Camaro which is better suited to Qtr mile runs 25 mph slower. Truth is the Camaro time is probably closer to reality.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Danny, The HP figures are misleading since SAE Net HP ratings are mixed with BHP. Starting with the 1971 models, at least with MOPAR, the ratings were SAE net. I wanted to purchase a new '71 340 Dart ******* with an SAE Net HP of 220 the prior year had a BHP rating of 275HP.

In addition It would not be a fair to compare the SS (Super Stock)MOPARS with the others since they did not roll out of the factory as completed cars, could not be registered for street and were delivered minus a warranty.

It was common knowledge that cars assigned to magazine tests were specially tuned ringers so their statistics are invalid.
Accurate performance information will be difficult to find from one source.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That last list is certainly more realistic. I would also note that Popular Mechanics got an 11.97 out of a '97 GTS vs. several older (and many modified) muscle cars. See for yourself:

Showdown: Modern Muscle vs. Classic Muscle

And a more recent Popular Mechanics test threw down a 12.08 in a stock RT/10 in this test:

The 13 Quickest Cars You Can Buy

My favorite quote: "If you're driving a Viper, nobody can touch you. You're the King of the Street. Ruler of Red Lights. You're driving the absolute quickest car anybody can buy - a 450-hp rocket that runs the quarter-mile in 12.08 seconds at 118.51 mph."

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Where do they get these numbers?
I have a 70 Buick GS STG 1. Has a little bigger cam and headers. It will do high 12's around 110, with slicks a little better. At the Stock Nats the Buicks do come out on top a lot. Have not seen a STOCK 60's or 70's muscle car run 130mph in the 1/4. Mabe its KPH...

Randy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth