Not as happy as I thought I'd be with new HRE's

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not as happy as I thought I\'d be with new HRE\'s

I ordered new HRE's 547 R's. When I first took them out of the box, I was fairly happy, and thought they looked great. I placed them in my basement, which was dimly lit, and they have sat there for some weeks while my car is being worked on. Last week, I turned on an overhead light, and I noticed many, many swirl marks on the finish of all these wheels. They were ordered as high polished and clear coated. I assume, that this condition will worsen as the wheels age and are cleaned, etc. I am disappointed to say the least. You guys all know how expensive these wheels are. I was in Town Fair Tire the other today, glanced over at some cheap wheels that had a flawless finish. I ordered HRE's believing that they would be spectacular and flawless. If I had known, I would have saved money and gotten Purners, which I am guessing have as good as a finish or better. Anyway, I don't want to ship these back or make a return, too expensive and time consuming. What should I do? Another thing that pissed me off, was I left a message at HRE, and they never called back. OR, are swirl marks normal? I don't see how they can be sent like this. Please comment or help. THANKS.

Dave.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Not as happy as I thought I\'d be with new HRE\'s

I have 505's and they look great. Post some pictures so we can comment on these swirrel marks.

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Had the 547R's 2 or 3 years ago and also thought the finish could have/should have been better. Sold the car but now have another car which I just put Forgeline VR1's on and I'm much happier with the finish-- full polish and look great. Also,I have no problem with the way the new Kuhmo's look on them-- was worried about that after some of the threads pointed out bead issues. Yes they're definitely a softer compound and pick up some pebbles here and there but the stickiness is well worth it. Overall, a great upgrade. I know this doesn't help you with "what to do now" but perhaps will help with your next purchase.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You whining little ****. **** it up..

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When wheels come with a price tag like HRE's you'd expect them to be flawless! My Foose Speedsters were absolutely flawless when I get them and still are (knock on wood).

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Having owned a couple of sets of HRE's on my last two cars I can tell you that the finish is not going to be perfect. And it is not because HRE doesn't make the finest wheels around, it's just the nature of what you ordered.

First, the polishing of aluminum is not flawless anyway, compared to chrome for example, polished aluminum will always look duller.

Also, when you clear the wheels you magnify any imperfection. So any tiny swirl from the polishing process is going to stand out.

I actually would have steered you away from the clear coat anyway, not because of the finish, but because it is extremely delicate and as soon as you get a chip in it, which usually always happens when tires are mounted to the wheels or the lugs go on, it starts to peel and it doesn't stop.

If you stop to think about it, you scuff a surface before you paint it, but a polished surface is smooth so the clear paint doesn't stick that well, and chroming an aluminum surface is sometimes worse.

If you are unhappy, I would have the wheels stripped and polished by a local shop that can spend some time on them. Just don't re-clear them. If you are worried about maintaining the exposed metal, don't worry, most products have a wax in them that keeps the polished metal looking good for many months, it's really less work than it seems.

Just think, you could have maybe polished some of those imperfections out by hand if it wasn't for the clear. It could just be you are looking at them under a set of bad rendering flourescent lights. Before you do anything take them out in the sun, that will most definetly help.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep calling HRE....those things are way to expensive not to be perfect !!!!

OP
OP
S

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys - finally got HRE rep on phone, they didnt return 3 calls! Anyway, what Bwhitmore stated is what HRE is saying - that polished alum. is not flawless. Sorta upset still, but nothing I can do right now. Refinishing an option in the future. Am I saying don't buy HRE's w/polish? Yeah.

Dave.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutritionkgzexoti