Not having fun with my roll bar install

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to put my new BTR roll bar in today. After 4 hours of work , it's still not in. Definitely not a simple bolt-in procedure. Will keep you posted tomorrow with pic's also.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this but after installing Teamtech harnesses, and having fun with the bulkheads, I'm not looking to torture myself again just yet. What parts are you having difficulty with?

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TWINVIPERS

it will be worth the pain of installing it. Nothing better than having a good safety net!

You making plans to come to Bowling Green, Ky for the V-10 Nationals? 10.80 on pilots would yield a very Low 10 on slicks. could run strong in the super Pro Street class!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you that the Autoform was 3 hrs and a piece of cake. At least that is w/o the side bars... I'll get to those eventually.

JD

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a BTR bar as well. Waiting for a full day to install replacement harness, seat lowering kit and the roll bar.

Hopefull you will have enough pics for a 'HowTo' posting.

Looking forward to the progress report.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dates

April 16-17

Mike Moundir might make the trip and maybe a couple others.

It will be worth your trip if you love Vipers, If you love to race it is even better!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dates

April 16-17

Mike Moundir might make the trip and maybe a couple others.

It will be worth your trip if you love Vipers, If you love to race it is even better!
I'm 75% in as of now, if I can get someone else to make that 14 hour drive I will be 99% in, how about it Jeff. Two Ny Dlm cars out to whoop some a$$ :p

Mike

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir

I'd say I'm also in around 75% as of now.

I might not finish this roll bat install by then...

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff:

I wasn't lying when I told you of my experience with that bar. Never fit right, never will. Sorry to hear of your difficulties though I know how frustrating it is.

Phil

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have listened, but a few guys said it was OK. What a mistake. The piece that the swing out fits onto doesn't even come close to the right angle. I have to have someone now cut and weld my new bar. We have been cutting out the fiberglass on the panel behind the seats for 2 days. What a waste of money. Should of had a custom one put in for less money. Live and learn. BTR says it bolts right in, what a joke...

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll reconsider the Autoform bar. Any other positive experiences with the Autoform other than Joe's above?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform one ain't much easier, you still have to saw off the back fiberglass lip. I had them install mine and they worked like mad at the track and with 2 guys they had it done in 5 hours. You will loose some rearward seat travel also.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No rearward seat travel loss on the RT/10 w/ my autoform. Or at least I don't think so... and I'm 6'0". I had to saw off a little fiberglass as well, but it wasn't hard and the bar fit perfectly.

JD

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Twinvipers,
Been there done that, just last week. We're doing a custom project GTS and the owner purchased a BTR bar.
The mounting hole angle of where the bar comes down to the upper seatbelt area was straight, where it needed to be angled to match up with the factory threaded holes. Once we moved the holes in the bar mounting plates 1/2", it fit ok. Yes, we had to cut the fiberglass lip also. The lower plates to the floor needed to have the inside corners cut off so the seat bracket could be bolted back in and I think we also did something to either the holes or the plate to floor angle. That got the main hoop in.
To get the side bar to go in simply required cutting off the original end with the quick pin and changing the angle so the bar would come down on the forward end the 6" it needed to get to the floor. Then we cut the mounting tab off the plate on the forward end and changed the angle so the plate would sit flat on the floor. Then put everything in place, tack welded it, took it out and welded it on the bench. Then we finished up by having the side bar and mounting plate re-powder-coated red.
Oh, we also had to drill out some of the original holes to get the bolts to go through and had to grind some to get the side bar to slip onto its tabs on each end. Took about 9 hours.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke with Tom and he said he never heard of anyone having the wrong angle or anyone having to trim or cut the fiberglass and here are 3 people saying they had to. Very dissapointed. I'm also going to have to cut and re-weld as well as re-powder coat. I'll try and take some pic's today as I will be working on this project AGAIN.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and this is EXACTLY why i procrastinate for certain items and upgrades.

i though this rollbar did NOT interfere with seat travel? seems it does though?

itd be nice of someone with a BTR rollbar for an RT could chime in; three things

fit under roof (either hard or soft)
seat travel normal
install like supposed to, without jerryrigging

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to "bolt-in" this BTR bar? Perhaps the fabricators screwed up the jig at some point in time.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS - I was surprised that it fit so well, it was as though BTR used my car for a template, no cutting, simple install. Make sure you place some protection on the sills/top plate, because, it is difficult to pull the seat out without dragging across the sill and they will get scratched.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get how there can be such disparate experiences with these bars. Is it quality control (hard to believe with such low volume). It sure can't be technical expertise on the part of the installer if Sean has difficulty. It requires an explanation for those of us interested in doing this mod.

dancojax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happened to be at Roe Racing Today getting our GTS Dyno'ed and looked at the finished installation he described in this thread. NICE JOB - LOOKS GREAT -- not sure Nancy could move the seat far enough forward to suit her, but just fine for tall person. The door side bar laps over the door-edge of the driver's seat cushion and might make it a little hard to move the seat all the way forward.
Take Sean's word for what was done - Looks great red!!!!!

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put in a roll bar in my Porsche 15 years ago. It did not fit. I would have thought things were better today.

I too am considering this mod for my GTS

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got the bar in and the interior back together. The angle of the swing-out bar is not even close to where it should be. Now I'll have to cut and re-weld. What a joke (bolt-in application).

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any additional tips on the final install? Did you have to modify the main hoop in any drastic way?

Not looking forward to this potential hair pulling event... :(

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had to cut the fibergalss of the rear panel,cut the track on the drivers seat a little and now we have the swing-out nightmare to deal with. Wanted to go to the track today, but I guess that won't happen.

Good luck on your install...let us know how it works for you

P.S. we even had to drill out the holes for the swing-out pin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang