Nov Car&Driver SRT road test... what did you think?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Just got it today. C/D said "it's G.d..m. fast!"

The review stated 3.9 sec 0-60, 12 sec 1/4 mile, 1.0g grip.

Interesting review in that they gush on and on about the performance, brakes, grip, thrill factor. They admitted to some improvements in interior comfort, better guage visibility, improved pedal position, etc.

It was a powerful article, full of humorous analogies, etc; however, it seems as though they don't want to admit just how MUCH better it is now. All three of the "counterpoint" comments were very enthusiastic.

Then, they go into how it "definitely takes BOTH hands on the wheel at all times", and they kept talking about how hot the footwell and side sills are. They made quite an issue of the way the Viper has a "U-haul truck ride" and it talks to you over every bump.

It seems as though they were blown away by the all-around awesome performance, but the article left me confused.. what did you think? Every one of the comments here on our site mentions how excellent the driveability is. Much more controlled and forgiving and faster around the track.

For those who have now driven the SRT, is the footwell really that hot? Are the side sills that hot? It's as if C/D is exaggerating these points. Did I mention they talked about how loud it is?

Very tongue in cheek commentary. I can't wait to see what your comments are, Viper brethren.

I can't wait for my SRT! I think I might need snowshoes at delivery time from what I read here.

Jim

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wait! The best is yet to come.

....and as far as the footwells....

I had a 2 P.M. SRT-10 autocross drive at VOI, which means the SRT's had been pushed to their limits for about 5 hours and here's what I experienced:

ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKE FADE! Unbelievable brakes
Water Temp? A very comfortable 200 degrees (and that's with constant stop and ZZZOOOOMMM driving)
Footwells? No hotter than our current generation cars (and once again, these cars were being pushed to their limits)
Performance? All I can say is ....... WOW!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove one at 3PM.The cars were in constant use.I didn't notice any footwell heat.The reps said the side sills were hot and I took their word for it.Car is quick and easy to drive one hand on the steering wheel.The car was way quiet.If C&D thought the car was hot and loud,they must have had the heater On and the stereo turned way up. Bruce

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"..autocross... which mean the SRT's had been pushed to their limits...ABSOLUTLY NO BRAKE FADE.."

well, if the SRT is pushed to it limit on an autocross,what about road racing?
Will that be over it's limits?

the only limits that you find on an autocross,beside the driver owns,is may be the handling/traction, but certainly not the car cooling capacity or braking system resistance to fading.

Luc.00GTS
SRT ordered

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a MOTORTREND test. Those guys know how to push a car, and aren't worried about a little heat, etc... C&D likes cupholders and luxury ride quality in there sports cars. Pansies.....

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my hand on the door catch on the vertical part of the "hockey stick" when getting out and noticed it being very hot -- too hot to leave my hand on. I always get out of my GTS the same way and it carried over to the SRT. My ride was at about 8:45am. Didn't notice any footwell heat, but it was early.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that the mag-rags do not have the skill to truly push a VIPER. I have been at test sessions and even driven against these wana-bee's and they are not very skilled. Maybe they can push a Neon, but please don't tell me that they are better at pushing a Viper than even the Viper Owner Nation!

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses;

I always liked Car and Driver magazine as a quality publication with some good humour. However; I now see that they are definitely more toward the "cupholder" persuasion. They still love horsepower, but they had several pictures of grilling bacon and eggs on the side-sills, and another photo of popping "jiffy Pop" over the hood slits. Very funny, BUT.. it sounds like they went way overboard.

Joe Houss posted "the best is yet to come" or something to that effect. Which mag do I look for Joe? Road and track, Motortrend, Automobile? (now, those guys seem real BMW biased imho). Please tell us where to find more good stuff to read!

Now, I REALLY want your honest opinions on the SRT exhaust sound! Come on folks.. side by side, unmodified Gen II compared to the new SRT. How is the sound at idle? How is the sound revving them up in neutral? D/C was supposed to have gone to great lengths to improve our stock sound while meeting drive by db requirements. Details! Details! Details! Please?

I could not atend VOI for health reasons, and I am desperate for more SRT impressions.

Thanks friends, keep those informative posts comin'!

Jim Wallace

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim our opinions are going to be just that. I (a 100% bone stock 93 owner) think the new sound is a HUGE improvement over the original. My only complaint, no air delete option.

If you love high performance cars then this is the one for you. It offers more than anything else out there, unless you are willing to drop down more than $250,000.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to especially listen to the exhaust. It sounded less UPS truck-like, and had a deeper rumble, similar to a V-8, in my opinion. It was fairly quiet (EPA probably), but was very pleasant to my ears. Since Dodge has to meet sound restrictions, I think they did a good job in the rumble department.

GASDOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished Viper Days at the Nashville Superspeedway.They(Skip Thomas),said that due to insurance reasons,all SRT-10s (convertible) will require a roll bar installed to participate in future Viper Days.

I Ben Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a reply to the test. I haven't driven the car yet.

First, there is absolutely no excuse for a modern car with tires specifically designed for it to exhibit bump steer. None! We know too much about suspension grometery and tire performance to let that happen.

Second, the control of heat from the exhaust/engine compartment is hardly rocket science. Convection, conduction and radiation of heat can all be resolved.

I emphasize I'm responding to the test report not to the actual characteristics exhibited by the new Viper. I haven't driven one, I don't know.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by I Ben Therbefor on 10-02-2002 at 08:51 PM</font>

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last I heard, from a DC rep, was that the current bars behind the seats are roll bars...one day they say they are and the next they are not. Anyone know the truth?

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The really amazing thing about the article is that at the end of it we get the standard Corvette line about it being 33K cheaper and a better daily driver.

They just don't get it. The Viper is a very unique car. If we all wanted a comfortable daily driver (with cup holders) we would buy a Corvette! I used to own one! Nice car but it is NOT A VIPER.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some refer to the roll-hoops as rollbars, but it will never be in print. The politically right thing to say is that the roll-hoops assist the SRT/10 in achieving a passing grade in all roll over tests.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Thanks for the responses;

I always liked Car and Driver magazine as a quality publication with some good humour. However; I now see that they are definitely more toward the "cupholder" persuasion. They still love horsepower, but they had several pictures of grilling bacon and eggs on the side-sills, and another photo of popping "jiffy Pop" over the hood slits. Very funny, BUT.. it sounds like they went way overboard.

Joe Houss posted "the best is yet to come" or something to that effect. Which mag do I look for Joe? Road and track, Motortrend, Automobile? (now, those guys seem real BMW biased imho). Please tell us where to find more good stuff to read!

Now, I REALLY want your honest opinions on the SRT exhaust sound! Come on folks.. side by side, unmodified Gen II compared to the new SRT. How is the sound at idle? How is the sound revving them up in neutral? D/C was supposed to have gone to great lengths to improve our stock sound while meeting drive by db requirements. Details! Details! Details! Please?

I could not atend VOI for health reasons, and I am desperate for more SRT impressions.

Thanks friends, keep those informative posts comin'!

Jim Wallace

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drove it a while back and posted my opinions.

As far as sound quality goes:

Corsa on Gen II &gt; Gen III &gt; Gen II &gt; Gen I

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Car and Driver guys act like country club spoiled babies. Whatever happened to appreciation of a unique automobile. These guys act like they are testing a bunch of Nissans and Hondas. C an D is acting way too OLD.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and what about the short piece in the current Road & Track bashing the horsepower wars of several manufacturers?

If I wanted that kind of anti-car talk (with plenty of environmentally friendly tree hugging thrown in), I'm sure I can pick up a copy of the Sierra Club mag.

We'll look back on these times as the golden days of powerful cars.

You must be registered for see images

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a bad state of affairs when Road & Track bashes high horsepower cars and devotes 1/3rd of their pages to SUVs.
frown.gif

Fire those guys and get someone writing about fast cars, who actually loves them.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21