OBD-II Diagnostic Reader/Scanner?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to purchase one of these, but I don't know diddly about them other than they are a tool for On-Board Diagnostics which monitor engine controls. There are a million brands/models out there and I'd like to start narrowing it down :2tu:.

What brands/models do you have and what options (like clearing codes) do you use/need?

Right now...I plan to use it to read and clear codes to help diagnose any problems. What else would I want to use it for?

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey LifeIsGood,

I'm also looking to get one of those...if only there were some nice members on this forum that knew something about them that would be willing to help us out :help:.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that a lot of the people that could answer your question probably don't follow the New Owner forum.

I bought the cheapest Harbor Freight code reader on sale for $35 in order to read codes that turn on the check engine light, and clear them.

There is a good discussion here: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-tell-me-scan-tool-use-viewing-stft-ltft.html

I have the same Harbor Freight code reader as mentioned above...like he said good for the basic stuff.......I have a Diablo Predator for my SRT8 Jeep which covers CAN and customized tunes...depends what you want to do with it....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As noted...many choices exist. Innova makes several. I have a low cost Actron that reads and clears codes. I have another Actron that does more, including freeze frame...noting that Actrons are easy to find at Sears, AutoZone, etc.

I carry one of these in my daily driver...and one in a Viper...ALWAYS !!

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It looks like a basic one that reads and clears codes will be all that I need for now. Maybe I'll get something more advanced once I learn more about them :2tu:.