October R&T test

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the R&T test results (along with the MT and C&D numbers for comparison).

R&T did not test the Z06 side-by-side, so there was no comparison information except that R&T said, "The Tremec 6-speed now features larger gears, improved synchronizers and shorter throws that result in lever movements that are better than those in the newly refined Corvettes ... For racers, there are now provisions for adding an external transmission cooler. And that's really what the Viper is meant for -- racing."

To that I say, C'mon Dodge, let's see what you can do now!!

R&T:

2008 Viper:
0-60 .................... 3.7
0-100 .................. 8.4
1/4 mi ................. 11.9 @124.4 mph (same trap speed but slower time vs. MT looks like less aggressive launch, and shifting too soon for the 0-100 time)

Motor Trend:

2008 Viper:
0-100 .................. 7.9
1/4 mi ................. 11.7 @124.4 mph

2008 Z06:
0-100 .................. 8.2
1/4 mi ................. 11.8 @121.6 mph

C&D:

2008 Viper:
0-60 .................... 3.5
0-100 .................. 7.6
1/4 mi ................. 11.6 @126 mph

2008 Z06:
0-100 .................. 7.7
1/4 mi ................. 11.7 @125 mph

Last edited:

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but with 100 more HP I am disappointed by the numbers the magazines are getting. Not pleased at all by the E.T. or the MPH.

Someone had to say it.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, at least it beats the Vette. Got to remeber last year when the vette was beating the Viper, they had same power but Viper weighed 200 lbs more and traction issues. Now instead of changing weight, added another 100hp at the crank but still same weight. So its not going to be record shattering, but still a nice improvement. Besides, magazine testers are not the best at track times. But its nice to see a 11.6 in there. Not bad for a mag tester, with probably little Viper experience.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone being disappointed with a 3.5 0-60 time with a stock car with stock tires is gonna be real hard to impress.

Both Vette Z06 and Viper are world class. 0-60 times are mostly traction limited in this case. Gonna be hard to do better without 4WD.

Lots of reports lean to the fact that the new Viper, while significantly faster than the previous model, is at the same time, smoother and easier to drive both at the track and on the road.

On the other hand the Z06 is much more difficult to drive both on the track, and on the road than the standard model Vette.

This is a huge accomplishment. 08 Viper is faster, smoother, better sounding, cooler, better fuel economy, has better driveline and is less expensive than the model it replaces, all at the same time.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but with 100 more HP I am disappointed by the numbers the magazines are getting. Not pleased at all by the E.T. or the MPH.

Someone had to say it.

As I posted elsewhere, from another review of the '08, the secret to getting full advantage of the extra 90hp will be in the rear gears (it's not hard to figure out) ... Here's another quote that sums up why I plan to switch from 3.07 to 3.33 gears, especially now that the redline is higher:

"Indeed, the Viper's racing-car soul is ever-present: Highways feel best taken in third gear, which allows for warp-speed passes. In sixth gear at 80 mph, the engine is turning a mere 1500 rpm, chuggling its discontent throughout the body shell. The V10 is happier above 2000, and ecstatic above 4000..."

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone being disappointed with a 3.5 0-60 time with a stock car with stock tires is gonna be real hard to impress.

Both Vette Z06 and Viper are world class. 0-60 times are mostly traction limited in this case. Gonna be hard to do better without 4WD.

Lots of reports lean to the fact that the new Viper, while significantly faster than the previous model, is at the same time, smoother and easier to drive both at the track and on the road.

On the other hand the Z06 is much more difficult to drive both on the track, and on the road than the standard model Vette.

This is a huge accomplishment. 08 Viper is faster, smoother, better sounding, cooler, better fuel economy, has better driveline and is less expensive than the model it replaces, all at the same time.

Amen! Congratulations and way to go SRT.:2tu:

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
0-60 is a traction limited issue. I should have clarified myself. I am excited for how it is running on the tracks but have been dissapointed by the quarter mile times. I expected better. Just my opinion.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And Vipers are hand built, low production vehicles. About 1,500 to the Cheverolet Corvette at over 52,000.

fellow black sheep:headbang:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wait till a few of these 2008 cars get into the hands of some good Viper drivers. I think you'll see high 10's in the quarter at about 130 mph with just tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte