Odd Battery Behavior

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my '94 is cold, she starts up fine -- battery feels/sounds strong, like new. But if the car is warm -- say sitting in a parking lot for an hour -- the car struggles to start with what sounds like a weak battery. It is able to turn over the motor once or twice, but it barely catches and fires up. Yesterday for the first time, it wouldn't start at all, and I needed to get a jump.

I know the obvious answer is to just replace the battery, but it is less than 2 years old with less than 2,000 miles on it, and behaves like new when the car is cold, leading me to suspect something else is going on.

Any ideas on what might cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

Ron Jones

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Throw a good charge on the battery and see if it acts normal. If so, check your alternator.

kssssnake

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
First, measure the voltage before you try to start it. Check and clean the battery connections. New batteries can go bad.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen starters act like that (when they get heat soaked) but as stated, look at Battery first

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are still under warranty just go return the battery.

Plus in the US, auto parts stores can test the battery and charging system on car.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was having a few battery related issues a month ago on my 2001. The battery was just over 2 years old. I purchased it from Sam's Club (Duracell). My volt meter said it was fine. I took it to Sam's and it was bad. They replaced it under warranty.

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not keep the car on a tender when you’re not driving it, then you will kill batteries that fast. At least that’s the experience I’ve had with my Vipers. They all stay on tenders now and I buy the cheapest batteries I can find and have zero issues.

I had very similar issues that you’re having and turned out my battery was bad. Replaced the battery and have kept that specific car on a tender and have never had another issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang