Odd Tach & Speedo Issue?

7Sins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received the car back from the bodyshop and I am immediately having a few issues, the car was fine before going in. When driving at any gear, the tach needle will bounce around when throttle is constant (ie I should be at a constant 3000rpm but the needle will bounce up and down), when coming to a stop it rests at 0 even though the car is still running/doesn't stall. When at a stop the speedo will bounce to 20 to 40 even though I am not moving. The car isn't running that bad besides the idle being a bit lower than normal but the power is still there and there are no CELs. Any ideas? Maybe they didn't attach the negative cable properly? Thank you for your help.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did it go into the shop for? Anything to do with the dashboard? My first thought would be intermittent ground connection. At least on my year car, the tach and speedo share the same ground point which is a different ground point from the other gauges.

OP
OP

7Sins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did it go into the shop for? Anything to do with the dashboard? My first thought would be intermittent ground connection. At least on my year car, the tach and speedo share the same ground point which is a different ground point from the other gauges.

The car was keyed in multiple places, there was no need for them to be working on the interior of the car.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was keyed in multiple places, there was no need for them to be working on the interior of the car.

Well, then, most likely, not related. I still would be looking for that common ground path and point unless someone comes along with some better suggestions.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the rear gears have been changed. You may have a Unitrax speed calibrator that has or is going bad. I don't remember if the tach is affected but the speedo will bounce up and down and read all kinds of speeds.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***? Your car was keyed? Angry ex, or just some jealous ***hole? I hate that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine