OEM Spring Length/ID?

fatty01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello - looking for anyone who might know the measurements on stock coilover springs for the Gen 3/4 (both ID and length for front and rear). Not really wanting to swap out OEMs for aftermarket, and not looking to go any lower - I think the Dynamics work fine. After doing some research, I believe a simple spring swap with slightly higher rates would do the trick (instead of 200/500, maybe 400/700 or so). Much appreciated!

Reaction score
The shocks are valved for the stock rates and increasing them that much will overwhelm them in the rebound area. The shocks themselves seem very stiff in jounce that is probably the reason for the harsher ride, springs will also not help that. We run 500/800 on our MCS set up and it still rides 100% better then factory so it's all about the shock valving not the spring rates.

OP
OP
F

fatty01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mark. I'm aware of the MCS setup and their stellar reputation (and other options like BC/Aldan/Penske/caps & springs/etc. that have varying reputations) but most of these are geared towards lowering the car. Can you run the MCSs at stock ride height? Also, many say the OEM Dynamics are not rebuild-able but others say they are - is it possible (or even worth the hassle) to re-valve the OEMs for stiffer springs? Thanks.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penskies/MCS/KW/ect... are not "geared towards lowering the car"
That is just ONE of the adjustments that they offer. The entire shock body is threaded enabling you to set the ride height anywhere from above stock all the way down to the tires toughing the inner fender.

So, to answer your question, Yes, you can run the MCS @ stock ride height.

If you would like to demo a set come along to the CrabFeast this saturday and i'll let you take my GTS for a spin. The combination of stiff springs paired with the hi-tech MCS dampers is a beautifull thing.

Reaction score
Thanks for the endorsment Dom :)

I have never heard of anyone revalving the stock shocks, they would likely have to be done by their manufacturer though and since it is an OEM they may not do it even if it is possible.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I'm aware of the MCS setup and their stellar reputation (and other options like BC/Aldan/Penske/caps & springs/etc. that have varying reputations) but most of these are geared towards lowering the car. Can you run the MCSs at stock ride height? Also, many say the OEM Dynamics are not rebuild-able but others say they are - is it possible (or even worth the hassle) to re-valve the OEMs for stiffer springs? Thanks.

OP
OP
F

fatty01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all. Mark - I assume you're a vendor for the MCSs? Can you PM me a "all-around good guy and ex-Plattsmouth resident" quote to 23666? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine