Off Topic: Kindney stone and Water damaged data center

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics will be tomorrow...

How could this be related?

I get a Kidney stone that lays me up in the hospital on morphine, and at the same time a water pipe breaks at my business and 1,000+ gallons of water later, I have a 5,000sq.ft. building in 1" to 2" of water - including the server room.

The building owners sends over some guys to put heaters/dehumidifiers in our data center (20+ servers), and tear up 80% of our carpet (disassemble our cubicles and just stack everything up... with no intention of re-assembling it (or so they say today).

So, while under extreme pain, I'm informed of the problem and manage to blurt out, "Don't touch the servers, we need to keep the business running. If they have to be turned off, we need figure out how to get the services rerouted". They take that to mean they can do their nasty work with them RUNNING! My GOD!

Now the insurance adjuster is asking me "how much harm has REALLY been done? - they're running now... well except for that one that got turned off when we blew a breaker... it has a hard drive failure..."

Well, I don't know... being in over 100 degree 90% humidity... I say it's time for replacements...

The story goes on, but I though I'd ask the group:
Anyone ever SUCCESSFULLY handle a data-center humidity/heat damage claim?

And yes, the stone passed, though probably less painful than what I'm about to go through with the Insurance company...

Argh :p