Oh what fun it is to ride in a carbon fiber sleigh... (pics)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is the story: SRT sent down five vehicles for the Southwest Rendezvous. Four autocross cars and one show car. The autocross cars consisted of two red Viper SRT-10's and two blue Neon SRT-4's. Those cars were bulletproof throughout the weekend. Of course I had to sign for all of the cars and they were my responsibility for the duration. Needless to say, I pushed the SCCA hard to make sure that the courses were as safe as possible.

The fifth car was the "old" SRT-10 Carbon shown at the 2003 SEMA show. That car wowed the crowds and had a LOT of Viper owners asking why DC couldn't build it for sale. I asked that myself. The car was lighter (150 pounds), more powerful (625 underrated HP), and looked more aggressive than the conventional SRT-10 convertible. This was due in part to the hardtop, but also the front splitter and the extended spoiler off the back deck. To my knowledge, the car was never shown outside that 2003 SEMA show:

http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/dodgesrt10acr.html

So imagine my delight when we learned that we would have that car on display in Kansas City for the Rendezvous. Despite a hectic schedule trying to make sure the event went smoothly, I took every opportunity to go over and admire this beautiful concept car and shoot a few pictures.

You must be registered for see images

I even got to move it around a little (very), as we needed to get it to different parts of the garage. And then fate stepped in and everything changed. It went something like this:

Sunday was our "open day" for all attendees. The Kansas Speedway was open as the host location and you could buy more time in the NASCAR rides. We also had the big autocross course open with the opportunity to drive any of the provided factory cars. Unlimited runs in somebody else's car with somebody else's gas. Not bad! So I stuck around the Speedway for a while to make sure all of our guests got out okay. I sat in the garage and had only one other companion:

I finally closed up the garage (and the hood on the car) and headed over to the autocross to make sure everything was running smoothly, gas up the cars, etc. We finally wrapped up everything around 2:30 PM. Reliable Transport was scheduled to pick up the factory cars at 4:00 PM. So I sent everybody home and waited for them to arrive. And waited. And waited. Of course nobody is in the office on Sunday at Reliable or DCX, so I didn't know what the status was. The usual "pre-arrival" phone calls from the driver never came. Bored, I decided that I would move that ol' carbon car around for a couple photo ops at the Speedway.

In the garage as we (the car and I) waited for pick up:

By the gas pumps:

I even sweet talked the Speedway security team into opening Victory Lane:

By about 6:15 I decided that Reliable wasn't coming and to call it a day. So bright and early Monday morning I went back to the Speedway to send off other cars (local Dodge dealers had supplied several). I was also greeted by one of the factory Vipers sporting a flat rear tire. Of course the Vipers don't come with spares or jacks. Fortunately, SRT sends down a spare set for each Rendezvous and the Neons had the right jacks and lug wrenches. So I kept myself busy with that while I waited for the dealers to get their cars.

And I finally reached both Reliable and DCX: They had forgotten to schedule a pick up for the factory cars. They could get a transport to me by Wednesday, but there was one other problem: Danica Patrick and the rest of the IRL series was coming to town for a race this weekend and all the Kansas Speedway garages had to be empty by 5:00 Monday. After confirming this with all concerned parties (Reliable, DCX, and J.R. Thompson), it was agreed that the factory cars would need to be relocated. I volunteered to bring them to my house. Including the SRT-10 Carbon. And so it was.

So then I had to figure out a way to get the two other Vipers and Neons out of the Speedway. Mind you, I was taking an extended lunch hour away from work and had to find some other guys that could get away. Fate again intervened, in the form of a Texas couple that had come in for the Rendezvous and whose tow vehicle had given up the A/C ghost. I happened upon them as I returned another Dodge vehicle to the local dealer (new black Charger R/T with 22" wheels). Languishing in the service waiting room, they were only too happy to assist with driving the factory cars one last time. Especially since they had decided to trade their 2001 ACR and '94 RT/10 in for a 2005 SRT-10 at that very same dealership.

With it being so hot outside and some miles of highway driving ahead, we put the tops up and fired up the A/C. As we departed the Speedway (but still inside their property), I pulled off the side in one of the factory Vipers to check on Jim in the other red SRT-10. Mary was driving a Neon and his wife driving our GMC. I wanted to make sure that the "Lo Tire" warning wasn't still going. I gave him the Viper with the new tire, as the one I was driving had a big chunk out of a front tread from a weekend of heavy autocrossing. So I jump out of the SRT, run back to his and he reports all is well. I then run back to mine. And it is locked. And running. With the A/C blowing full blast and 95º outside. My cell phone sitting on the center console.

So Jim wisely shuts off the motor by pulling certain fuses and then we pull the A/C blower fuse to keep it from draining the battery. Mary went off in the Neon to try and get some help. Local police and track security couldn't do anything but call a locksmith. I decided that I could do it if they found me a coat hanger. Which they finally did. Here I am applying my master lock skills:

After about 45 minutes of getting "THAT close", I send the other three off. That way they can drop off the other two cars and get our visitors back to the dealership to pick up their truck and buy their new Viper. I vow that I will catch up to them on the highway as I am just moments away from getting the car unlocked. After about another hour of moments I finally give up and have security call a locksmith. I sit in a guard shack for another hour while waiting. Oh, the fun we have!

Eventually we ended up with all of the cars safely secured at my humble abode:

As the factory autocross Vipers had obviously been left outside previously (we received them as dirty as I had ever seen a Viper), we decided to leave one with the two Neons outside for the night. Tuesday morning gave us rain and clouds, but the afternoon cleared up nicely. We let the local club members know that we had the cars and that they were welcome to come check 'em out before they left for the return trip to Detroit. Tuesday night drew quite a crowd, especially when we "posed" the cars in the driveway:

Of course we washed the two red SRT-10's first, as they were a mess. We also learned that Rain X safely takes the black cone marks off of the cars pretty darn well. The cars eventually went back about 10 times cleaner than how they arrived. Hey, nobody wants dirty Vipers posed next to the Carbon car. :2tu:

So Wednesday morning arrives and Reliable confirms they will be on the scene shortly. We take the opportunity for a few last photos:

This time Reliable arrived as scheduled (as they were actually scheduled this time). The autocross Vipers were loaded and then it was time for the Carbon. One problem is that the Carbon car has NO parking brake. The driver asked if I would mind driving it on the transport so that he could block the tires. He just KNEW I was dying to get one more time behind the wheel of this incredible machine:

And there it ended. The car was all loaded up, the Neons soon followed, and away they went. For us, the Viper Club Southwest Zone Rendezvous officially ended Wednesday afternoon. And now we go into recovery mode!

I will post more about the Rendezvous itself and my impressions of the Carbon Concept in separate posts. Just didn't want you folks to think I had forgotten about this place... ;)

Chris

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story :) ))) wish I could have been there... HEY DC build that car and I swear to you I will be first in line :) )))))))

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story :) ))) wish I could have been there... HEY DC build that car and I swear to you I will be first in line :) )))))))

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AWESOME STORY!!! Vipers look awesome infront of your house! Wish I could have taken your place and brought them all to my house :eek: :D Too bad you didn't get to drive the Carbon Viper to your place!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carbon SRT = Best looking SRT ever made (even if it doesnt go into production). As always, great story and pics, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do they not build that car and sell it?

I love that engine bay, especially the placement of the Motons.

Autoformsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After the wonderful rendezvous you and your wife hosted, you both deserved to be one of the few to drive that car.

Tony
Autoform

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Great write up! Thanks for driving the car! and more importantly taking pics of the car in motion! I loved the top on the car!! It gives the car such a mean low stance. the front fascia is exactly what that car needs for a facelift! I hope then churn out those cars by the dozen!! Most importantly Thank you for your write up again!

Jay K.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery