Oil change on my 02 GTS

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am about ready to change my oil, and wanted to ask if there is anything special about doing it. Can I lift the front end only, or do I need to lift the whole car?

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, just like any other car, but I'd recommend a set of ramps instead of jacks! You can find a low profile set that will clear the front fascia of the Viper at www.sportys.com

I have heard stories of people that were under cars when a jack has collapsed. Jacks are great when doing brake work or rotating tires, but if you plan to work under the car on a repeated basis you'd be wise to invest the $200.00 on a nice set of ramps.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Scott on using ramps rather than jacks, safety first. But would ramps level the entire car? If it is not level there will be some old oil that will be hidden somewhere.

Is it worth it to do the oil change yourself? I gave up doing the oil change and now have my dealer do it. Much easier and not messy at all, I got tired of trying to keep the garage floor clean than transporting the oil for recycling.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chris, stop by my place and use my pit. Just walk under
laugh.gif

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I do is drive the front tires up on a ramp made of 2 stacked 2x12's. This gives me enough room to get under the car with a drain pan to drain the oil and replace the filter. You need long arms for this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4