Oil change price (Canadian)

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious to know what other Canadians pay for an oil change at the dealer? Today I was charged $223 - they put in 10.4L of Mobil 1. Seems high to me.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to Pennzoil. The dealer I went to didn't have a lift low enough. Pennzoil has a pit so there were no problems.

I bought my oil because I wasn't sure if Dodge had Mobil 1 synthetic. 2 x $36 (4 litre jug at Canadian Tire) + 1 x $6? (1 litre bottle) Oil change cost $37. All told with taxes, just under $130 and only eight litres fit in a Gen II.

The Pennzoil guy calculated what their price would be with their Mobil 1 synthetic and it was about the same or not enough of a difference to bother.

I hear my dealer got a lift that would work for the Viper now (since my incident) but I will probably still go to Pennzoil.

Santo

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about going to Penzoil (or somewhere like that) next time. I have heard a couple of members say the guys are so freaked out to work on a Viper that when they showed up with the oil & filter they did it for free!

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just paid $118 US for the same thing.
Even after the $$ conversion that is a hell of a lot cheaper. Was yours done at a Dodge dealer? Keep in mind that about $25 was for taxes on my bill.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just paid $594.00 For Engine oil Change, Transmission oil Change And Differential at 3000 miles

I just had my 3000 mile service too. Did you ask them to change your trans and diff oil? That's not included in the standard 3000 mile service. Only entails an oil/filter change, lube door hinges and general inspection of fluid levels and exhaust system. My 3000 mile service only cost $118.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never used the dealer and will only go there for other scheduled maintenance.

I usually pay 120.00 CDN for good quality synthetic ( mobile 1 ) oil change.

Patrick

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I carry in my own Mobil I (2 five quart jugs) which I've purchased at WalMart for about $24 a piece. The dealer charges me $16 and change for labor plus a new filter. All fluid levels are checked. The Viper tech checks the underside for leaks or anything that doesn't look right.

Total cost: $65 (plus or minus)........

Don

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DYI: 2x $25 for the oil, $12 for the filter. 20mins of my time. Dispose of oil at local fire station, $0.

KNUK, how are the roads up that way, my brother sez there's still a lot of gravel/sand etc. Have you had yours out yet?

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pay $120 at my dealer in Scarborough, they deal with 4 or 5 Vipers a week.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I change my own oil.

At the price some of you guys are paying you could pay for a four post list in just 6 oil changes.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DYI: 2x $25 for the oil, $12 for the filter. 20mins of my time. Dispose of oil at local fire station, $0.

KNUK, how are the roads up that way, my brother sez there's still a lot of gravel/sand etc. Have you had yours out yet?
Roads are fine in the city (all swept) but I won't even try the mountain highways yet as they will be full of gravel.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will do my own oil from now on - is there anything different about doing an oil change on a Viper vs any other car? Filter is easy to get at?

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Next time you have your oil changed, ask the tech what the torque spec he used on the oil drain plug AND the oil filter. I'd be surprised if anyone knew the specs or used them on BOTH components.

That's another reason I change my own oil......

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They did show me the shop manual for the 03 Viper and it definitely calls for 10.4L of oil. The manual that came with my car calls for 9.5L. I don't fault the tech as he was following the shop manual - I do find fault with Dodge for giving two different oil capacities for the car.

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do my oil change myself. Doing the plugs and wires in a few days. Bought the wires last fall from dealer. Took 6 weeks to get them !

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very fortunate. Transitowne Dodge gives me free oil changes for life as long as I own the cars.This is for Mobil 1 oil and Dodge filters.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I get $349.95 USA for parts and labor using Royal Purple Products and K & N oil filters or Mobil 1 if you prefeer. If some one wants to do it themselves the price of the kit is $199.95 USA. There are a lot of rip off artists out there.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change my own oil.

At the price some of you guys are paying you could pay for a four post list in just 6 oil changes.
ditto, I prefer to change my own oil as well.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I buy 2 of the 5 quart Mobil 1 jugs from wal-mart for $22 each, filter from Dodge and change it at work on my lunch break or get a tech to do it if im busy (I work at a mitsubishi dealership). Total: $50

SPI TWIN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
knuk, oil changes at my shop (SPI), are around $100.00 CDN. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario. PM me if you need to know more

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with V10Speedluvr and Black 94 here in the do it yourself group. I am stunned at the prices some of you are paying. It is no more difficult to do than an oil change for a Toyota Corolla. Just add more oil (ok, alot more). I realize people (auto service places) have to make a living, but wow....

And that is coming from a lawyer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang