Oil Change

splochocki

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy Crap...

Just took my new ride in for it's first oil change. Oil changes on my old car has cost me $125 with chassis lube at the same dealer. They charged me $170 plus tax. I asked why the price jumped $45 and they said the price of oil when up for them. Told them to try walmart it's $25 for 5 quarts.

Does my VCA membership get me any sort of discount at dealers?
Needless to say I will be doing all my own oil changes from now on.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to open a Viper oil change shop.

The dealers do not pay more for oil than we do, probably a dollor or two less since they buy in bulk. Figure $50 in oil and $10 for a filter. So they just charged you about $100 for labor.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a good relationship with a local gas station that lets me bring my own oil and filter, pull it on the rack and do it myself at no charge. 'Course it always takes at least an hour because of all the people that want to look at the underside of my baby and talk about her

They say its great for business for people to drive by and see a Viper in their shop!

Bill

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just paid $70.20 for an oil change and filter at All Tune & Lube in Ocala, FL for Mobil 1 so I guess I got a good deal and they did the oil change. When I lived in Michigan, the Dodge dealer did not stock Mobil 1 so I bought it from Wal Mart and brought it to the dealer (about $50.00), and they would just charge me for the regular labor and filter, roughly $25.00, so it came out to about the same price I paid here in Ocala. Also, unless they really know how to put your car on a lift and do it properly, have them use their drive on lift for complete support of the car, or serious damage could result. Most of these quick oil change places don't service Vipers because there aren't many Vipers around to begin with, and if you don't place the arms of the lift under the car at the correct lift points, serious damage can result. So make sure they understand you want them to use the drive on lift or a drive over oil change pit in the floor of the shop.

OP
OP
S

splochocki

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I asked they won't give me a VCA discount either.

***** nowing I'm ******* away so much on an oil change. Call this a lesson learned and I will be doing all my oil changes now.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if they paid $4.50/quart for the oil (which they didn't) and 5 for the filter (which they didn't), they still charged you $120 in labor, which out here equates to 1.5 man-hours. That must have been one HELL of an oil change if it took 'em an hour and a half. I have my oil changed at Ferrari of Washington for less than that!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they charged you 100$ so the next time they back your car out and hit something they cover their ass

its a handling charge for an exotic

moral of the story. do it yourself :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper