oil cleanup - HELP

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When changing oil I made the cardinal mistake. When I pulled off the old filter it looked to me like the gasket was on the filter. I would have sworn in court the gasket was on the filter! I should have double checked by looking up in there. NEXT TIME!! After putting on the new filter with oil in it and filling the crankcase with the rest of the 10 quarts, and taking the car down off the stands, I start her up. I'm watching the pressure gage as it is running watching for the needle to go up. It doesn't. It starts going down. I just start hearing tapping and shut it off. I get out and look down to see a pool of oil. At least, that's what I would call 7 quarts of fresh, clean, mobile one on the garage floor. Long story short, filter mistake remedied, 2 ten pound bags of cat litter on the floor, oil in the engine-on the engine, belt, fan,frame-all over. What would you use to clean up the Viper without harming paint, plastic, aluminum, and rubber? Where can it be had? What would you use on the unsealed concrete floor for cleanup, and where do you get it? I thought I was too careful to make such a mistake.:dunno:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I did the same "oil sprinkler" you did, only with 9 quarts. :D

Several passes with Dawn + water + sponge will clean up the engine bay and underside of the car w/o harming paint/finishes.
If it's something that regularly gets waxed, remember to re-wax it next time you do that.

Cat litter works good for grabbing the oil off the concrete. I've found the 'finer' the cat litter, the better.
There's some "purple stuff" that I've used in the past (AutoZone/Advanced Auto Parts) that's worked...okay.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Floor dry to take up most of the oil, Then brake clean and some old rags after works wonders on concrete and it will evaporte and your concrete will be clean, You could pressure wash after if you like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960