Oil Leak?

ANIL8-U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had there timing chain cover leak? I have a 98 GTS with 13k and every time I get on it, it blows oil all over the front of my motor. I can post some pic's. Is this a common failure? Could it be anything else?

Thanks

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced mine last month, but it was leaking antifreeze, not oil. You might check your PCV tubes. If they haven't been upgraded to the newer style they may be broken down due to synthetic oil.
If you have an extended warranty, the cover gasket should be covered.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought my leak was a timing cover gasket but it turned out that one of the timing cover pins released from the block.

Now fixed and good as new.

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is your PCV...mine is doing the same thing. You have to pull the intake off to get it.

You need:
PCV vavle
Rubber Gromet
Intake gaskets (2)

I am doing mine tonight.

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 98 RT/10 and it has 16,000 miles and is leaking oil also in the front of the engine. I was wondering what you found to be your leak? Was it the PCV valve??? I find it hard to believe because of the amount that is leaking. I was curious. Thanks

Chris Moore

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have seen more-than-one 98 with an oil leak from a cracked timing chain cover...not too bad to fix.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
My gasket leaked also. Noticed it right away after buying the car new and had it replaced and have had no additional problems after 9K miles. Good luck.

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is leaking in the front. I see oil sitting on top of the cover near the oil filter adapter. It is running down the front of the engine. I will look today and see if there is oil under the intake. The pcv valve is under the intake? How can I tell if the front cover is cracked? Any other people with this problem? Please let me know what your fixes were. Thanks!

Chris Moore

Reaction score
Ya, my timing cover gasket leaked after about 20K miles. Haven't had it leak since I replaced 30K miles ago. This is a fairly common problem that seems to go away once the gasket has been replaced. You can try some "leak dye" if you want to, but I would suggest you simply replace the T/C gasket. I have never personally encountered a cracked Timing cover on a factory build. The gasket is a few bucks. It will take about 3 hours if all goes well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang