Oil Leak

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After a few months of trying to determine where my oil leak was coming from I decided to put some dye in my engine and have a shop look at it under the light. It appears to be coming from the front Crankshaft seal and also from a grommet around the PCV valve. I found a local shop that has a Certified Viper tech who has actually worked on Vipers.. They are currently putting a quote together for all the gaskets required and labor to replace. The small pool of oil that is collecting under the intake is from the PCV valve and will require the intake to be removed. I figured since the intake is off I will go ahead and change the wires. My question is, what else should I have them do while they are getting to the crankshaft seal.

P\S Bracket?

I don't have the quote yet but I imagine it will be between $600 to $1000. Does that sound about right?

97 RT/10

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
For sure...timing chain cover gasket, the kit of which includes several gaskets (call Chuck Tator for info & pricing on this "kit")...billet power steering bracket, pulley(metal to replace OEM plastic pulley) which you can get from PartsRack. These things can prevent known disasters !!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles on car? And what are your future plans for the car, staying mainly stock or ?
If they're just removing the intake and replacing the crank seal which I doubt removal of any replacement performance parts, its not much u can upgrade besides the bracket as u mention. Stock plug wires. New accessory belt maybe. Thermostat just for the hell of it.
New intake gaskets is good as there's a recent thread on here saying your year had the poor designed gaskets. Also look any waterpump issues.

OP
OP
S

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many miles on car? And what are your future plans for the car, staying mainly stock or ?
If they're just removing the intake and replacing the crank seal which I doubt removal of any replacement performance parts, its not much u can upgrade besides the bracket as u mention. Stock plug wires. New accessory belt maybe. Thermostat just for the hell of it.
New intake gaskets is good as there's a recent thread on here saying your year had the poor designed gaskets. Also look any waterpump issues.

Thanks for your prompt replies!... I have 38000 miles on the car. Plugs were changed at 29,000. I plan on staying mostly stock except for exhaust. I already have smooth tubes. No plans for S\C or Turbo. Exhaust is coming as soon as oil leak is fixed. This is the first time I have had it in the shop so I am still evaluating competence and ability of this shop so performance upgrades are certainly on the back burner for now.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the same problem fixed on my 02 RT/10. your mechanic will find that it is solely that rubber grommet that is leaking. there is no PCV valve near the grommet. it is just a straight pipe. the high idling temp of the car constantly cooks anything near the engine. I had a 170 degree thermostate and fan kit put in also. the engine now never goes above 180 degrees without the fan kicking in down right away.

OP
OP
S

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After pulling the harmonic balancer off the crank we noticed that it had alot of galling on the inside. Plus the fact that we were able to slide it back on the crank with little force. I called Chuck Tator. (My first call to him) and he was\is awesome. He told me I was lucky it had not flown off yet. That should be a press fit onto the crank.

Luckily he had the part in stock and its on its way.

Wonder what else I am going to find..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again to Chuck for helping the Viper Tech who worked on my car assist him in putting it back together. I don't know of may people who are willing to take the time out of thier day to help perfect strangers. Chuck you have a good heart and soul.

Also thanks to Jon B for sending me the parts I needed so quickly and at a great price.

Not having anything to compare the car to when I purchased it, I thought it was running pretty strong. But let me tell you that with new plugs, new GTS R wires and a harmonic balancer that is not spinning on the crank this is like starting all over again. What a power difference.

No more oil leaks or worrying about a breaking a P\S bracket anymore either.

Thanks again for all your input and suggestions.

Next project! Delete the CATS....

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same leak on the top of the motor with the PCV line / grommet. I replaced the grommet but it still leaked. The leak was coming from the area where the line goes into the grommet. I think the line was out of round maybe from heat? I would replace the line going into the grommet also or you might have be pulling the intake back off again as I had to.

After a few months of trying to determine where my oil leak was coming from I decided to put some dye in my engine and have a shop look at it under the light. It appears to be coming from the front Crankshaft seal and also from a grommet around the PCV valve. I found a local shop that has a Certified Viper tech who has actually worked on Vipers.. They are currently putting a quote together for all the gaskets required and labor to replace. The small pool of oil that is collecting under the intake is from the PCV valve and will require the intake to be removed. I figured since the intake is off I will go ahead and change the wires. My question is, what else should I have them do while they are getting to the crankshaft seal.

P\S Bracket?

I don't have the quote yet but I imagine it will be between $600 to $1000. Does that sound about right?

97 RT/10

OP
OP
S

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even though I spent over $1500 to fix this oil leak...It has been money well spent.. I recommend all you Gen II owners check out your crank (harmonic balancer) bolt...

If i did not have an oil leak, I would have never discovered this potential disaster..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_