Oil Pan drain plug???

SLICKSSS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was having my oil changed the other day and my mechanic was amazed to find that the oil drain plug was not magnetic?? Is this normal for the srt/10?? I thought most cars have this?? It would make sense to catch any metal filings if they were any floating in your oil??

Can you buy an aftermaket drain plug that is magnetic for the srt/10??

Thanks.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The drainplug is not magnetic. However, it is the standard drainplug used in most other Dodge vehicles, so I am sure an aftermarket magnetic drain plug is available.

Perhaps the Gen-1/2 plugs will fit? I didnt even think to check...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you SURE? If it is, that means they switched back. I am very interested if you can get me a picture of it.

OP
OP
S

SLICKSSS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan can you get these magnetic drain plugs?? I think its good to have in any case??

If so how much??

Thanks.

Let me know

SLICKSSS....

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my oil at about 450 Miles. When I pulled it, it had a 1/4" or so magnet. I used a rag to wipe off the small metal that accumalated on it... I won't change the oil again until 3500 so it will be a while before I get a picture :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mike- Damn skippy... I will pick up a bunch and bring them with me to the Queens Landing thing on Oct. 17.

Anything else you need...?

OP
OP
S

SLICKSSS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan that would be great dude!

Nothing else at this time other than that.

Thanks see ya at the landing.

Slick...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had to bring this back to the top.

Couple things of note:

-The part number for the 05 drain plug is no different than the 03 or 04 cars- which are NOT magnetic plugs. It is possible that this is an unrecorded change, but I doubt it.

-I ordered in a 2002 Magnetic drain plug for comparison, it appears to be a slightly smaller thread than the Std. SRT-10 plug, and this will not work. I didnt have a thread gauge handy, so I am not 100% sure on this yet. Didnt have a seal for the plug anyway, so I cant install it to find out yet.

-I suspect that somehow N CHARGE's drain plug became magnetised from an outside souce and thus appears magnetic. Could have been sitting near a motor before assembly, installed with a VERY strong magnetic wrench...who knows.

However, I am still very interested to find out for 100% sure if the 05's do have a magnetic plug.

Can ANYONE take a picture of their oil pan drain plug if they have a 2005? You dont even have to remove it (though it would help). A picture even while still installed would tell me a lot. The types of plugs are easily identifiable from the outside. Unfortunatly there are no 2005 SRT's in Buffalo as of yet.

Thanks,

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan, sorry to hijack your thread, but I still havent heard from anybody as to whether the 05 has gone back to the larger diameter harmonic balancer bolt.
Have you heard? I had a couple guys who were going to check, but never followed up on it.
I figured you might be the guy to find out for us. :2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Brian- Unfortunatly, there are no 2005's in this area yet- I have no way of finding out. I seriously doubt it, as it was more of a correct torque issue than anything else. They wouldnt re-tool again for something that was caused by lack of common sense.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Magnetic Drain Plugs now available! I have 1 in stock, 5 more will be in early next week. $15.00 Plus shipping for the Drain Plug & Seal assembly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness