Oil pan "seepage"?

FastToy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 Gts with 16,000 miles and the end of May I had the timing cover gasket and front crank seal replaced at Naperville Dodge. About $700. I then drove the car about 200 miles the next two months and recently found a small amount of oil under the oil pan. Took the car back to the dealer who now says the aluminum oil pan is porous and oil is "seeping" thru the pan. I need a new oil pan and gasket for around $1,200. Just replaced the gasket 8 months ago.

Is this possible?????The Viper tech said he sees this alot with older Vipers. Or did they mess something up when doing the gasket work in which the oil pan was removed.

Any info or comments are greatly appreciated.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil pan gasket is reuseable, so I guess it's possible they could have damaged the gasket. Does it appear to be the same kind oil seepage you had before the work was done?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1,200! I upgraded to a 2000 Oil Pan years ago for the added capacity and it didn't cost that much. Less that half that as I remember.

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU ARE GETTING HOSED!!:omg:
$700 for a timing chain gasket?? The parts are about $60 and maybe 3 hours of labor = $350.00!

$1200 oil pan?? 2000 10qt pan #4763744AC MSRP $642 [less 20% from me] and 1 hour of labor = $611

Either they screwed up the TC gasket job or the oil is seeping around the oil pan bolts but your pan IS NOT POROUS!!!!

I would RUN away from that Dealer!

Call me if you would like to talk about your oil leak. 914-763-3136

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, the Wiz is right. Vipers have porous speaker grilles, porous fuel and oil filters, but not porous solid metal parts.

I'd invite that tech out on a hunting trip...

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup. I changed my own timing chain cover gasket (thanks for the advice Chuck!). After I got everything back together and few miles down the road, I put 'er back on the lift to check for leaks and had a little accumulated on the back corner of the oil pan. I suspect I didn't put enough sealant in that corner of the crankcase before putting the oil pan back on. I'll fix it at the next oil change. Maybe that's what happened in your case. They either didn't put any or not enough sealant in the corners.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Either they screwed up the TC gasket job or the oil is seeping around the oil pan bolts but your pan IS NOT POROUS!!!!

I had what I thought was an oil pan leak but it was really oil seeping around the oil pan bolts. I was actually loosing more oil than I realized and thought I needed to replace the gasket. After talking with Chuck I backed out each bolt (one at a time) and added some sealant and torqued everything back down. Oil leak was completely fixed and didn't cost anything (thanks Wizard).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang