Oil Temps

OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
…for, sorry. I was driving this weekend, in Texas, ambient air temp mid 90’s. Gen III ‘03, 40k miles. While freeway cruising and at idle my oil temps reached just under 220 f, and remained there steady. Coolant temp remained at roughly 200. Is this normal? It seems a bit too high.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ideally, you want oil temps a little over 212F so that any condensed moisture in the sump will boil out. The oil cooler is water-jacketed.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
220 does feel just a touch high to me. I think mine usually runs right even with the water temp around 210 once everything is all up and warm. A/C on might make that a little different I suppose, but if you're on the highway cruising I'd expect it to stay a little lower than you're seeing. Do you know if the oil has been changed recently? As silly as it might sound, sometimes I think old oil runs different temps than new.

OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean - Copy that on the oil temps around 212 to boil any condensation off.

Owned the car about 4 months now. The thing that’s throwing me off is the coolant and oil temps have previously consistently been 200. It was much cooler weather through the previous 4 months. Water/coolant temp stayed steady at 200, even as the oil temps got north of 200.

MOPARMAP - I’m about 1k miles from an oil change. A/C was on. I was planning to do the oil change this weekend. Also was going to check the coolant level.

I am assuming a 50/50 blend anti-freeze if the coolant is low. Is there a specific brand or color you guys run?

Thanks for all the help and knowledge guys! I go through A LOT of cars, but this one I have fallen in love with, don’t think I’ll ever sell it. Y’all have a good day, and let me know what I should run for coolant. Thanks again!

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Owned the car about 4 months now. The thing that’s throwing me off is the coolant and oil temps have previously consistently been 200. It was much cooler weather through the previous 4 months. Water/coolant temp stayed steady at 200, even as the oil temps got north of 200.

MOPARMAP - I’m about 1k miles from an oil change. A/C was on. I was planning to do the oil change this weekend. Also was going to check the coolant level.

I am assuming a 50/50 blend anti-freeze if the coolant is low. Is there a specific brand or color you guys run?

Thanks for all the help and knowledge guys! I go through A LOT of cars, but this one I have fallen in love with, don’t think I’ll ever sell it. Y’all have a good day, and let me know what I should run for coolant. Thanks again!
Mopar sells the coolant at the dealership. It’s red. They have both the straight coolant and the premixed 50/50 blend, in gallon jugs.

OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TEXASVIPER35 - Thanks! Just curious, what do your coolant/water temps get to? As previously stated, mine got up to a touch under 220 last weekend.

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your fans are programed to come on at 207F. Another thing to keep in mind is that your oil temp sensor is after the cooler, so the oil is actually warmer in the pan.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I have read in the past that the Mopar coolant is just rebranded/redyed Zerex G05. Whether that is true or not I can't say, but I did put G05 back in my car after a rebuild. It's more of a gold color out of the bottle, but I was doing a full system fill, so it didn't matter as much. I've been happy enough with it though.

As for temps, I tend to see close to what you used to at just around 200 on both coolant and oil most of the time. Hotter days or A/C on I might see closer to 210, but I think the only time I've seen it much hotter than that was when I was on the track in the middle of summer. The gen 3 fan is on all the time and PWM controlled, so temps tend to hold pretty steady. It's not like electric fan cars that will cycle up and down as much.

Come to think of it, when my power steering hydraulic system was having issues I would see slightly elevated temps as well. You might double check and make sure your power steering fluid level is good and not foamy when warm or anything like that. Could be an indication the fan isn't working as well as it could/should.

OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s funny you said that about the power steering pump. Power steering pump “works”, doesn’t squeal, but I definitely have a leak. I have to top off power steering fluid every 3rd-ish time I drive it. Been meaning to change that, lol. I work 2 jobs though, one at United Airlines during the day, and I teach at the local aviation school at night.

OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: Changed the oil, checked coolant all good. Took the car for a spin, oil temps got up to 210-212 F. I guess that is just what the car wants to operate at in the Texas heat. No worries.

Side note - That clutch birdcage bushing decided to “exit” during some spirited driving. Thankfully I was walking distance from an auto parts store. Quick check of this forum and I was good to go. Lol, if it ain’t one thing, it’s another.

OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of the birdcage bushing? Ok
I got the Dorman multi-pack. It was on the shelf. Here’s a pic of the receipt.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
S

SN8CHMR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the Dorman kit is plastic. I’ll definitely switch to the metal one. Thanks for the heads up.