Oil Usage During Break in Peroid

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my 04SRT-10 and have used about 3/4 quart of oil in 200 miles. Do you think this is normal? What have your experiences been? (I did a search and can find nothing on this) I definitely have been taking it easy.
thanks

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I detected no oil usage during the initial break-in period. 3/4 of a quart down in 200 miles is quite a bit so it's good that you're are keeping a close eye on this. Just be sure your procedure for checking is consistent and accurate...with 8.3 liters it takes a good while for oil to drain back down to the pan. Good luck.

VENOMUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted a messages on 7-11 and on 7-13, which is today, for my oil usage problems. Read those and if you have any questions or if you would like to compare notes, just call me @ 410-599-8803. My name is Mike Popowski

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What SnakeEye said, ditto with the drain down time. Make sure car is level and I'd check it in the morning after sitting all night for consistency. Mine has 4400 miles on it and doesn't use any oil between changes (first at 1000, 2nd at 3500 so far). Use Mopar filter and Mobil 1 as recommended. My original "factory fill" was a bit low (1/2 quart) when I got the car with 6 miles on it. Yours may have been low to start as well.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 1st srt I had to ad a quart. On my new mamba I had to ad 2 quarts during my 700 mile trip home. I would not worry about it just keep an eye on it.

vd..

Fastrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked my oil and it is at the bottom of the "ok" or at the add line. Does that mean I'm 1 quart low?

The Car only has 800 Miles on it!

I am fortunate to have my SRT stored on a hyfrolic lift and today I just noticed a small oil leak on the front corner of the oil pan? What that HECK! It's not dripping but its pooling on the front bolt next to the starter. I wounder how many other SRT's are having this problem? I am going to bring it in to the dealer ASAP! I have never owned a car that leaked oil with only 800 miles on it. I hope that this is not the beginning of numerious problems? :eek:

Scott

04 SRT-10 Red
03 BMW 530i
66 Ford Mustang Convertable

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the add line is 2 quarts low.

My SRT used a quart in the 1st 1000 miles and about 1 quart per 2000 miles since (excluding a track day when I lost some oil through the oil fill cap during hard braking right handers. And yes the cap was on but the o-ring was not seated properly). My RT/10 has never needed a quart.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Scott, did your car have the cam bolt recall done?
If so, and they didnt do a correct installation of the timing cover, that could explain the oil leak.
Wipe it off just to make sure it is not just residual oil pooling up there.

Fastrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,My Srt was not part of the recall for the cam bolt. I did wipe it off but I am still going to bring it into the dealer and have my Viper tech check it out.

Kaval, I purchased my SRT form Elmhurst Dodge (Russ Miner)

Scott :usa:

04 SRT-10 Red
03 BMW 530i
66 Ford Mustang Convertable