OK so I really,really.REALLY...... want to track my car

N

Nobody

(Not drag race)Closest track is pir in portland .......what is the least complicated way to do this..should i drive to a viperdays event...none seem very close..any local clubs i could contact..that might let me run....if it ever dries out

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody --

PIR is a great facility. See www.portlandraceway.com/schedule.asp for PIR's upcoming scheduleof events. There are several clubs that run driver training days throught the spring, summer and fall.

Just as an example, I belong to Cascade Sports Car Club (Cascade or "CSCC") which runs at least three to four schools per season. See www.cascadesportscarclub.org/training.asp?page=home for more information on how to sign up.

Have fun!

/Rich

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody --

PIR is a great facility. See www.portlandraceway.com/schedule.asp for PIR's upcoming scheduleof events. There are several clubs that run driver training days throught the spring, summer and fall.

Just as an example, I belong to Cascade Sports Car Club (Cascade or "CSCC") which runs at least three to four schools per season. See www.cascadesportscarclub.org/training.asp?page=home for more information on how to sign up.

Have fun!

/Rich

One other thing I thought I should mention is the issue of insurance for track days. I suppose the options are to (1) review your current auto insurance policy to determine if it covers driver training schools that occur on a race track such as PIR, (2) obtain separate track or driver training insurance, or (3) don't drive your Viper on the track or do so with the knowledge that an accident could be an expensive proposition if you do not have insurance coverage.

The only information I have found regarding track insurance is as follows:

www.laurelde.com
Dave at 866-518-1110

The Porsche Club of America has promoted this company, but it is not licensed as an insurance agent/broker in any state. The Georgia Insurance Commission has a pending criminal investigation of Laurel. Information on that can be had from Special Agent Sherie Lowell (Ins. Commission of GA) 404-651-7983.

ACI 800/620-9223, or Americancollectors.com

Note that that these companies only cover damage to the car and not injury to others; however, my assumption--and it is just that, an assumption--is that the waiver you are typically required to sign before partcipating would shield you from any lawsuits from injury to others or their cars.

What do others on this board do regarding track insurance? Thanks.

/Rich

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rule of Thumb....If you can't afford to fix it...don't take on the track....

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with this company several days ago. They no longer insure Vipers. Too many crashes and too expensive to repair.

Bummer. i confirmed that Lurelde no longer insures Vipers for the above reasons although they will insure any other car for driver training schools. I also contatced American Collectors and they no longer even offer driver training insurance.

Does anyone use another driver training or track insurance program that will cover Vipers?

/Rich

OP
OP
N

Nobody

so basically you are telling me there is no simple easy way to just go out and drive the car fast on a track on a weekend that fits my schedule? and insurance won't cover it if I do( I expected that actually and don't really care)...........I have no problem paying a professional to show me the rope,s on the track so to speak...but you have to fit their shedule and program it seems..ironically they are promoting street racing by making it such a PIA to just go out and enjoy the car on a track.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so basically you are telling me there is no simple easy way to just go out and drive the car fast on a track on a weekend that fits my schedule? and insurance won't cover it if I do( I expected that actually and don't really care)...........I have no problem paying a professional to show me the rope,s on the track so to speak...but you have to fit their shedule and program it seems..ironically they are promoting street racing by making it such a PIA to just go out and enjoy the car on a track.....

I'm confused. When did you want to track? I'm betting PIR has events nearly every weekend most of which you could get in on.

But if you are looking to just drive up any ol' weekend and get on the track, that won't happen. If this country wasn't so litigious it could happen, but it won't.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm confused. When did you want to track? I'm betting PIR has events nearly every weekend most of which you could get in on.

But if you are looking to just drive up any ol' weekend and get on the track, that won't happen. If this country wasn't so litigious it could happen, but it won't.

Nobody --

Like the previous poster mentioned, just driving to a track on a given day that you select for track time is probably not going to happen. There are some private track clubs that are arising across the country (Illinois and Texas?) where you can pay a yearly membership like a golf club for track time, but even then I believe you need to conform to the schedule.

What is more common is the situation at PIR where multiple clubs (Alfa Romeo, BMW CCA, Porsche Club of America, Cascade, Team Continental, Shelby Club etc) offer driving schools throughout the season (generally March through October). For example, I am aware that the Alfa Club and Team Continental will be having track days/driver training on March 23 and 24. So there are mutliple options throughout the year in terms of selection and schedule.

The insurance question is a thornier one. Check you insurance policy. Many although not all insureres have begun changing the exclusions in their policies to include any accident that occurs on the surface of a race track, regardless of whether it is an actual race or just a driver training school. If your policy still covers driver training schools, then you will be insured. You just run the risk of being cancelled at the next renewal period or having your rate increase significantly if an accident occurs.

I put in an e-mail to a fellow who writes a legal column for a car magazine to see if he has any leads or thoughts about dedicated track insurance for the Viper. But what do others here use? Do you just go uninsured? What about folks who actually race their Vipers such as Competition Coupe owners (anyone who works at Bob Woodhouse feel free to chime in here)?

I have a 2008 Viper convertible on order that I intend to upgrade with the autoform rollbar and teamtech harnesses to increase safety factor for use at driver training schools but I am also concerned about the issue of insurance. I guess one other option is to attend driving schools like Skip Barber or, locally here in Portland places like ProDrive, using the school's cars and equipment and then use the Viper for autocross or Solo II only. It seems that the most you would risk autocrossing would be some rubbed fenders from hitting cones.

/Rich

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are other things you may want to consider doing to your car also, as many of the clubs will not let you run without a rollbar or a hardtop ( Autoform's top is approved by the SCCA ). Give me a call and I can discuss some of the options I would do for a track car, and if you want to get some seat time real soon, we have a couple of spots still available for our 10th Woodhouse Racing School trip.

You would get three days , with professional instructors ( 2 of which race Vipers professionally ) , tons of seat time , and there would be plenty of fellow Viper owners who have raced to give you varied ideas on setups, etc.

$3250 with lunch included, March 26-28 at Miller Motorsports Park, near Salt Lake City, Utah. You don't have to use your car, and we will also get to run some of their Race Series Mustangs that weigh only 3000 lbs and run on slicks.

Give me a call,

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Viper
1-800-889-1893

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be at PIR next Friday with these guys:
http://www.teamcontinental.com/

TC wants roll bars or hoops above your and the instructor's head. ProDrive and BMW club (I know for sure) don't care.

ProDrive
BMW Club
Alfa Club
There are a ton of them. That doesn't even count PR (Pacific Raceway) which is up by Seattle.

Cindi Lux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That track event that Bill is talking about is a great deal. Hanging around abunch of Viper owners for 3 days will be a blast!! You should really talk to Bill more about that school at Miller Motorsports Park. I do a lot of teaching at that facility and there is only one word that describes that place.... awesome .

But if you need a local Portland fix, you are more than welcome to come out to our race shop. We are on the west side of town. Getting our new race cars ready for the year. :headbang:

In fact, that TC track day next friday at PIR, we are doing a special program for SRT4 owners. We have Viper owners who might come out as well for the day. If nothing else, stop on by!! :2tu:

Cindi

OP
OP
N

Nobody

sounds like I will have to prepare the car before I can even take it onto the track..even to autocross it seems....Is the autoform brand rollbar accepted at all these various races..without a hardtop? looks like I will need new 6pt seat belts and a sa 2005? helmet also

Edit ...I also want to thank all for the replies and I am looking into the various driving schools and events...kinda hard to pin down my own schedule tho :(

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like I will have to prepare the car before I can even take it onto the track..even to autocross it seems....Is the autoform brand rollbar accepted at all these various races..without a hardtop? looks like I will need new 6pt seat belts and a sa 2005? helmet also

Edit ...I also want to thank all for the replies and I am looking into the various driving schools and events...kinda hard to pin down my own schedule tho :(

I had the Autoform rollbar installed in my 2006 convertible and it was accepted by multiple clubs such as Cascade, Shelby etc. That was really their only minimum requirement but I also highly recommend the teamtech 6-pt harnesses. Call Jon B at Partsrack for recommendations and pricing.

/Rich

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
additionally i like to run at the track with the top-down(much cooler) so i got a set of arm-restraints, great investment(not expensive).

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't need ANYTHING to autocross---depending on how modified your car is. If stock you can run in Super Stock. Today I ran in A Street Prepared (I don't have cats on my car) and it was great. I can't wait to ditch the greasy, slippery stock tires and get some slicks.

For roadracing you would need the stuff Bill mentioned.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i gave up autocross when i started doing track days/driver ed. days it is just so much more fun to be out 3-5--20 minute run sessions in a day. on a much bigger track

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i gave up autocross when i started doing track days/driver ed. days it is just so much more fun to be out 3-5--20 minute run sessions in a day. on a much bigger track

In my area you can run autocross several times a month with just a short drive and it's good seat time and it's really cheap. Lots of people don't do it because it is tiring to work corners when you're not running and stuff, but I enjoy it. You do have to check your ego at the gate, because your Viper can get smoked by Civics and Miatas on an autocross course.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont get me wrong i used to do a lot of auto-x but the being there all day and getting 5-9 (one minute+) runs just didnt work for me. that and i feel like auto-x is much more abusive than a track day, due to the type of driving style it takes to get good times in an auto-x. I used to do some of them in my miata i used to own as you mentioned. Vipers generally dont fare well in auto-x due to being bigger heavy cars with way more power than most auto-x courses can handle. I run with the local PCA(Porsche Club of America) at my local road course and running on a track is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need anything to do most track days. Some groups will want roll bars, etc, but most don't. I would recommend track days, but be aware you may develop what can't only be described a serious addiction problem and your money will be gone, but it's worth it! It can be a very, very expensive habit.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...Closest track is pir in portland .......what is the least complicated way to do this..should i drive to a viperdays event...none seem very close..any local clubs i could contact..that might let me run....if it ever dries out

We just had a track day 3/16 at PIR !
We have another 5/5
Another 6/16
Another 8/18
Another 9/15

Contact JonB @ PartsRack (YOU HAVE NO NAME AND NO EMAIL IN YOUR PROFILE)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21