Old run flats worth anything?

1stSgt Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a set of new (non run-flat) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s installed on my 2005....just over $1900 with the TPIs....cha ching!!!! I had the original run flats on there with 13,000 miles on them. They still are in pretty good shape. The tread is about a 7 for the back and 8 for the fronts? Are they worth anything? Would anyone be interested in them?

Any info would be great, thanks!

Last edited:

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No viper owner would buy these, Probably couldn't even give them away. I used my old run flats to make a rolling table and hung some on the wall.

You must be registered for see images attach

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my customers likes to plant stuff and garden as a hobby. He lives out in the country. Has a problem with rabbits, ground hogs and other rodents chewing on the roots.
He takes all my old used Viper tires, digs a large hole, puts the tire in, then plants inside the tires. Can't see the tires after the fact, and now there is a barrier that the rodents can't get through. :D

Re-purposing / recycling at it's best. ;)

OP
OP

1stSgt Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have actually had a few hits on them on here. Not everyone can afford 1500-2500 bucks when their tires go bald. The shelves are a great idea, look awesome!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....................to whom ever buys those and puts them on their car.

Use at your own risk.
Not safe for any kind of 'fun driving'.

Would be OK for any 'regular driving', like you would do in a Camry.
-but if you are driving like that, why do you have a Viper?

OP
OP

1stSgt Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, that is interesting....I did some fun driving with them. The only reason I did them now is because of the deal I came across and the time I had to do it. So I guess stock Vipers are no fun at all? Ya, okay. People crack me up. Use at your own risk? Yep, Michelin tires on a $100,000 car with 13,000 miles are very dangerous!

OP
OP

1stSgt Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't care if I sell the tires or not...but there is nothing wrong with the tires. It hasn't been in storage. I ran a few 12.0 passes at 120 MPH on them in the last 6 months, with good traction and zero issues.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Myself and all the other experienced Viper community are idiots.

Drive full-blast on old run-flats. It's perfectly fine to do that.

:dunno:

OP
OP

1stSgt Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO at the last post. I drove on good run flats including multiple runs down the track with no issues. It seems someone lives in a world of extremes. Maybe the car always being garaged might have an effect? I guess your experience out ways reality? Also using the term idiots when having a discussion about tires makes me laugh even harder.

Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback and the shelf idea!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one is going to put those tires on their car....they are nine years old and the risk of bad things happening with those tires is 100%. Repurpose for something other than on a car.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one is going to put those tires on their car....they are nine years old and the risk of bad things happening with those tires is 100%. Repurpose for something other than on a car.
No, the tires are perfectly fine for any type of use on anybody's car. Completely safe, and no reason not to let them go to waste.
Besides that, old hard runflats will make any Viper feel great. -I remember how they felt when I got my car (came on it new when I drove it of the lot), I miss them. There is a certain feel that other tires just can't duplicate.
7 years / 56,000 miles of Viper, averaging replacing sets of tires at least twice a year, trying several brands, (PS1 non runflat, Invo, Sport Cup, XS, R6), none of these capture the crappy ride quality of the original tires that came on the car new.

One of the better upgrades of the gen IV was the use of the PS2 non-runflat.

Used run flats...........every Viper owner's dream.

lutevipa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides that, old hard runflats will make any Viper feel great. -I remember how they felt when I got my car (came on it new when I drove it of the lot), I miss them.

Ha! I bought my 03 with 7k and 6 years on the runflats. It was like icescating on a oil slicked rink.

I bet you would be liable if someone bought those and then hurt or worse killed themselves.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put them on ebay. There are several cars out there that are modified to use a 345 tire. Some with much less hp than a Viper has.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha! I bought my 03 with 7k and 6 years on the runflats. It was like icescating on a oil slicked rink.

I bet you would be liable if someone bought those and then hurt or worse killed themselves.
Yes. But try to explain that to the op. :rolleyes:
He says old runflats are perfectly fine. :smirk:

-I didn't like my oem runflats when they were new. :crazy2:

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok so what tire would be the BEST new tire to put on a GEN 3 car with run flats, my 06 has 5500 miles on it but I dont like hearing "they fail from the inside out"

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not true. The only way he'd be liable is if he knowingly sold a tire that was deemed defective by the manufacturer and recognized as such by the Transportation Safety Admin.

lutevipa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not true. The only way he'd be liable is if he knowingly sold a tire that was deemed defective by the manufacturer and recognized as such by the Transportation Safety Admin.

Maybe that's true, but a high priced attorney would sing a very different song to a grieving widow.

Regardless, Idk about op, but I know where my ethics stand. I wouldn't sell a dangerous tire for a high performance vehicle.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe that's true, but a high priced attorney would sing a very different song to a grieving widow.

Regardless, Idk about op, but I know where my ethics stand. I wouldn't sell a dangerous tire for a high performance vehicle.
I doubt seriously that a judge would entertain a high-priced lawyer's attempt to win the mercy of the court - grieving widow or not for something that could seriously disrupt the used tire market. As I said before, from a liability perspective, it would be extremely difficult to prove negligence on the part of an individual seller unless the tire was modified by the seller thus making it unfit for use (normal wear and tear does not constitute being modified) or it was known by the individual seller that the tire was defective (as deemed via recall by the manufacturer). This tire, to some, may not be suitable for this type of vehicle. But labeling it as a "dangerous tire" is strictly in the eye of the beholder as it has not been labeled as such by any agency or authority. By no way am I defending it (my car has a set of PS2's) but because it may not offer the same "grip" as other tires, we should not make anyone scared or nervous to sell or give one away.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so what tire would be the BEST new tire to put on a GEN 3 car with run flats, my 06 has 5500 miles on it but I dont like hearing "they fail from the inside out"
The current best offering is probably the Pilot Super Sport.
If I drove on the street all the time, that would be my choice.
I haven't tried them because I stopped street driving my car before Michelin came out with them.
For some odd reason, they don't offer the rear size for my C6 Corvette either, otherwise I'd run them on that.
So I have Invo's on the Vette. Been through 3 sets of Invo's on the Viper. They are a great street tire.