One week into owner ship and CANT STOP DRIVING!!!

1stViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys... I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing! I have now owned my 2004 Viper for 1 week. I just rolled passed 4100 miles. When I picked it up, it had 3400! I CANT STOP DRIVING! If my lady asks me to run 3 hours away to pick up a certain candle holder.. Im in the car before she finishes her sentance!

At this rate... Im going to have 50k miles on it by next year!

What do the rest of you do in this situation?

I have a bad ass Dodge 4x4 1 ton (short bed, sigle wheel), but I cant force myself to get in her??? Whats even more crazy is that I am more comfortable in the viper than I am in the truck! I have grown to LOVE how it holds me while I drive. My truck is going to start acting up on me soon if I dont show it more love :) How do you pull yourselves away!

By the way... this is not a joke!
Brian

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, if the wife needs some Canadian bacon or maple syrup, swing by. I'd like to take a look :D

I bought my Viper just before being forced to store it for the winter and I'm going stir crazy. I was very busy when I bought her and other then driving it to work, I only got about a half hour in at a decent speed. I don't even know what my RT/10 looks like with the top off yet :(

This is going to be a long winter (and certaily has been already).
Congratulations,
Santo

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 4 months I have 6,000 miles and cant seem to lose that Viper smile whenever I get in my car. Glad to read about someone who drives there Viper instead worshipping it in the garage

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
My truck is going to start acting up on me soon if I dont show it more love.

It's not the truck that you need to worry about . It's the "lady"... But if your not at point of giving your Viper a morning hug and a goodnight kiss, there is still hope for you. Join the <font color="red">NVF1HC </font>. You have taken the first step by admitting your addiction. It will be hard first, but with time, support and trade offs( sex, booze,food and sports) you will get there... :2tu:

<font color="red"> NVF1HC (NO VIPER FOR 1 HOUR CLUB) </font>

OP
OP

1stViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

It's not the truck that you need to worry about . It's the "lady"... But if your not at point of giving your Viper a morning hug and a goodnight kiss, there is still hope for you. Join the <font color="red">NVF1HC </font>. You have taken the first step by admitting your addiction. It will be hard first, but with time, support and trade offs( sex, booze,food and sports) you will get there... :2tu:

<font color="red"> NVF1HC (NO VIPER FOR 1 HOUR CLUB) </font>

Well then.... I might have a problem!! :) hahaha I am not to the point of hugging it, but kissing Ive started doing! haha I dont think my woman is jealous just yet, although she doesnt like having competition as **** as the Viper!

I hope Im not the only person here who does this. I truely can not let her sit (unless its ugly weather) and even then... I scratch my head and ask myself, "should I take her out today"? haha

OK... Question.

Do the values of these cars go down BIG time with normal 12-15k miles a year driving? I mean.. I bought the 04 last week with 3400 miles and it is now 2006, so obviously I have a few extra miles I can put on her right? Im not worried about losing a little money on the car at all, but I dont want to make it so that my car has the highest miles on it in the market when I go to trade it in on a newer one! (Whats typical milage for these cars, or better yet, what kind of milage can I put on her without the fear of losing my ass at the end?)

Brian

Robsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '04 just before Christmas with about the same mileage as you started with. I drive about 75 miles a day just coming and going to work. I now have about 5600 miles on the car and will put about 25,000 miles on the car every year for the next few years.

I have a '01 ACR in the garage with 3800 miles on it -- it will see some weekend driving and some trips - but the '04 is for everyday use.

I think these cars are so much to drive - and the Gen 111 cars do make good daily drivers.

I don't think though -- that are many of us that put this kind of mileage on these cars -- it surely will affect the resale price. I just think of it as a daily entertainment charge.

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new ride!

I just got mine a few weeks ago and have the same problem. I just make up excuses so that I can take the car out.

The weather cleared up for a few days here in the Bay Area and have had the top down the last few weeks. Believe it or not, but I am working on my tan!

I plan on using the Viper as my everday car, however, the wife hates riding in it!

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the values of these cars go down BIG time with normal 12-15k miles a year driving? I mean.. I bought the 04 last week with 3400 miles and it is now 2006, so obviously I have a few extra miles I can put on her right? Im not worried about losing a little money on the car at all, but I dont want to make it so that my car has the highest miles on it in the market when I go to trade it in on a newer one! (Whats typical milage for these cars, or better yet, what kind of milage can I put on her without the fear of losing my ass at the end?)

Historically mileage has been a huge factor in a Viper's resale value. If you keep your car 3 years and put 12K miles per year on it, I would guess your car would be worth $5-10K less on resale as compared to the typical 3-year-old 5000-mile garage queen. Working in your favor, however, is the SRT-10's better driveability as compared with previous generations. One of the reasons that Gen I RT/10's have low miles is that they're not a very comfortable car and with no windows and makeshift top, they don't lend themselves well to long trips with overnight stays (poor security). The Gen II's were a little more "user-friendly," but not anyway as comfortable as the SRT/10's. I have no way of proving this, but I contend that if you were able to calculate the total miles in the first two years of ownership for each of the Viper generations, you would find that the Gen III's average miles would be greater than the Gen I &amp; II -- mainly because the Gen III's are more pleasurable to drive.

I say drive the damn car as much as you want and don't worry about the resale value.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beginning in 1995, picking up a loaf of bread went from taking 10 minutes to an hour and a half. Since then I have logged 80,000 miles on 3 generations of Vipers (and another 30,000 on a C5 and C6)It is indeed an addiction.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, put all the miles on it as you wish. I just got mine this week and have an addiction already. I just go out in the middle of the day and just drive the car no where and it makes me happy. This is pretty much going to be my daily driver since i love it so much. You live once! Enjoy it!

OP
OP

1stViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I have come to realize that I love the Viper so much that I dont give a [******] how many miles I put on it. Bad days I will drive one of my other cars, but if its sunny and I have time (which I have a lot of), I am driving the damn thing! :)

Brian

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car in June and I have yet to see my wife and family.................I'm still driving. !!!!!!

Can;t get enough. Enjoy the ride...........LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!
:) .... :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you I would not worry about the miles you put on it if you are enjoying it that much. Resale value is not a factor to me since I don't plan on ever selling it having got exactly what I wanted. Take care of it and enjoy it without regret! Thanks for sharing your experience. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4