One week with the Valentine One and....

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the BEST radar detector I have ever used! Plain and simple!

Damn, the arrows are nice! The range is awesome! And the radar indentification is perfect! :2tu:

How did I wait so long to get one?! Or should I say, why did my wife wait so long to get me one! :p

Oh, I forgot to mention how cool the small display, stealth lights are!

This is the SH*T!! :2tu:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got one a few weeks ago. It has saved my ass NUMEROUS times! Well worth the money!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had one for a few years, still waiting for a direct laser hit to see if it
works. Great for static camera's over here and not to many false alarms either

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If laser is detected, it is already too late. Laser is a very focused beam (no scatter, like x,k,ka), so if you pick it up, almost certainly it was turned on and aimed at you.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If laser is detected, it is already too late. Laser is a very focused beam (no scatter, like x,k,ka), so if you pick it up, almost certainly it was turned on and aimed at you.

What he said!

I have had about 3 false alarms indicating a lazer hit but nothing I could pin point. One time in Ohio while on a cross country trip I got hit with lazer, thankfully I was jammed up in a heard and just as I popped out I saw them in the median before my speed picked up. They popped me but I was legal.

Driving through friggin' Ohio and Utah gave me ulcers, but no tickets.

Thank you V-1

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I was piloting our Regional Prez's '97 B/W GTS on I-93 In NH crusing with a pack of V-dubs and civics all going appx. 80 M.P.H. in a 65 and got tagged with Laser. It was definately too late by the time I reacted. I wonder why they picked the Blue/White Viper instead of the Jetta?????

Nick

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had one for a few years, still waiting for a direct laser hit to see if it works. Great for static camera's over here and not to many false alarms either
10 years with a V1, well, got a second one a couple of years ago ($200 for an *upgrade*?!?!?, thanks, I'll just get a whole new one), and I've yet to get a real laser alert. Weather or ground approach radar (*radar* mind you) would trigger the *laser* on my old 1994-era V1, so, after getting a laser alert every 11 seconds for about 40 miles in northern Arizona and for about 20 minutes outside DFW airport in Texas (both in the Viper), I finally just got a new one in 2000. Leave the old one in the SUV, use the new one on the bike and in the Viper. New one's better than the old, and I like being able to program it to ignore X-band (ain't no real X-band in California that I've seen in 14 years except the instant-on X-band the MPs use on Edwards AFB).

Now, I hear about the new POP mode that may require another $200 "upgrade". Guess I see a third V1 in the future, but I wouldn't do without the arrows, so I'm hooked.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 years with a V1, well, got a second one a couple of years ago ($200 for an *upgrade*?!?!?, thanks, I'll just get a whole new one),

Randy,

I bought my first one around 1994, long before I had a Viper. When the Gen II unit came out, I bought another. I have played leap frog upgrading these units. An upgraded unit is a brand new unit with the original warranty back in place. You send them your old one--they send you a brand new one.

Pretty slick!

As for the POP mode, if yours is new, $55 bucks will get you another new unit with the POP mode in it. Plug in your serial number at the website. it will tell you what you will have to pay.

Steve

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in CO I have had my V1 alert me to Laser a couple of times when I have seen a cop; luckly both times I was legal. When I get the "L" alert on the display it makes a sound that really gets your attention!

Two questions however:

1) Both times the cop car was parked. Is Laser only usable from a stationary cop car; can they use Laser when they are moving?

2) I have also gotten a laser false several times before when I am a few feet behind (at a traffic light) a Chevy Trailblazer with its brake lights on. When the Trailblazer lets up on the brake the Laser alert stops. Anyone else ever gotten a false Laser alert?

Dave,
'01 Race Yellow GTS

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in CO I have had my V1 alert me to Laser a couple of times when I have seen a cop; luckly both times I was legal. When I get the "L" alert on the display it makes a sound that really gets your attention!

Two questions however:

1) Both times the cop car was parked. Is Laser only usable from a stationary cop car; can they use Laser when they are moving?

2) I have also gotten a laser false several times before when I am a few feet behind (at a traffic light) a Chevy Trailblazer with its brake lights on. When the Trailblazer lets up on the brake the Laser alert stops. Anyone else ever gotten a false Laser alert?

Dave,
'01 Race Yellow GTS

Same here with some of the Chevys....with different V1s too. There is also one Arbys fast food that sets mine off at night.....it may be the neon.

I believe the lazer does have to be stationary.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gotten one ticket since I started using the V1 several years ago. I was on my way from VOI8 in Dallas to the Silver State Classic in Nevada and going between 90 and 110 most of the way. Arizona trooper was sitting in the median just over a small hill and was using instant on. The V1 went off just as I saw him about 100 feet ahead of me. He clocked me at 90 (in a 70). He told me that in AZ anything over 80mph was "criminal speeding" and he could hall me in - but he didn't.

I've had the laser go off a few times and never could figure out what triggered it. Sounds like its time to send mine in for an update.

Bob K

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I crested a hill (bad situation) on I-30 Eastbound just before getting to I-35 in Fort Worth. I was in the far left lane, alone. My V-1 went off with the Laser alert, an unusual musical alert(not a beep, not a buzz). I was going 60 in a 60-good for me. No previous warning. It was a motorcycle cop on the left shoulder, parked. I've only lived in the metroplex 7 months, so it was disappointing to see them use the Laser-it bodes ill for me for future citations.

Near the same area a few days later, I saw a motorcycle cop with a car pulled over. About a half mile further down, there were 7!!! motorcycle cops lined up in parallel (sideways to the highway). A bit further down, there was a police car with a Laser gun tagging cars, sending the motorcycles after the speeders one after another. Like a pack of wolves picking off the stragglers and lame of the herd. Be warned, Viper Nation, the predators have become the hunted.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To use a laser the car/cop must be stationary. And they must "aim" the laser at you. So you will see them aim it like a gun to target the specific car they are after. It is also virtually instantaneous. So if you are targeted and he hits you, no matter how good your detector or foot is, your nailed. Your only hope is that his aim is not steady or the return is not good because he is not hitting a good reflective surface like your front plate. Of course if you have a front plate on a viper I guess you deserve the ticket.

As the distance from the laser emitter to the car increases, the spot diameter increases. But again your still talking inches rather than the scatter you get from radar.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey, in the last three years I got two tickets in Indiana. Had my V1 on in both cases. First time was on the Borman Xway. A black Camero comes screaming up behind me and on go the strobes. I ask him to see the radar gun and he says, sorry we got you from the plane. Can you believe that! Using an airplane on the Borman. 79 in a 55. Didn't get off, but got in a program were my fine was increased and I was on probation in Indiana for 6 months. If you stay ticket free they don't send the ticket to Illinois. Second ticket was instant-on south of Lowell on RT 41. Never had a chance. Went on the same incresed fine/probation program. Overall I love the V1. I saves me most just driving around town. Good seeing you at the meeting. Try and make our May 7th event at US 41.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they make a cordless version yet ?
The last time I saw a detector test, the conclusion was that every cordless detector was far inferior to its corded cousins. If that hasn't changed, I doubt if you'll see a cordless V1.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my first one around 1994, long before I had a Viper. When the Gen II unit came out, I bought another. I have played leap frog upgrading these units. An upgraded unit is a brand new unit with the original warranty back in place. You send them your old one--they send you a brand new one.
As for the POP mode, if yours is new, $55 bucks will get you another new unit with the POP mode in it. Plug in your serial number at the website. it will tell you what you will have to pay.
Yup, I'm aware of all that. I punched in the s/n of my 1994 version, and its a $200 upgrade. Before I can upgrade my 2000 model, I'll have to find the label on it that came off (on its own) - as they won't touch it without all of the underside labels in place and undisturbed.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lets face it, Valentine is a class act. His proucts are the best, his upgrade policy is unmatched. He has saved my ass on several occasions. What does he drive, does anyone know?

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that i have found is the lazar has gone off many times in traffic with no cop in site.I found this a traffic light stops, it seems to be cars with backup sensors. has this happed to anyone else?

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go mine Friday morning. Probably paid for itself in a 500 mile trip I took this weekend.