oops with clay bar

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a little carried away with my clay bar and rubbed way too much after the QD had evaporated.
The result is a few dull areas in the finish. I say "finish" as in I'm not sure what I have actually dulled (eg. clear coat,paint,..)
I was able to create the same shine as the rest of the car with a coat of wax, BUT there is still a dull spot under the shine. (like when the light hits the area just right).
I was thinking maybe ScratchX, but I'm at the "don't want to make it even worse stage" So any suggestions?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want to mess with it, then take it to a pro detailer. Hopefully one that is recommended by a few people you know with nice looking high end cars.

OP
OP
F

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE92 can you get a picture of it posted here?

Ok, well I tried several times, with flash, without flash, etc but just like going to the dealer, "couldn't duplicate customer problem" lol.
I can see the blurred areas, but they won't show up with the pictures.
They are about the size of a thumbprint and appear to be right under the wax but above the paint.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you did not lubricate with enough water while you applied the clay bar you may have left some residue. I'd hit it with a good washing of Dawn and redo the clay bar. Make sure to have lots of lubrication under the clay bar when using it.

Mike Phillips

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe ScratchX, but I'm at the "don't want to make it even worse stage" So any suggestions?

If you already have the ScratchX, apply this product with a soft foam wax applicator. If the finish is just dulled a little, this product should restore the gloss and clarity with 1-2 applications. Remember to work the product into the finish, that is how you get the diminishing abrasives to breakdown and thus in the process fix the problem.

There's a How-To article I wrote on using ScratchX and getting good results here,

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Coincidently, I use a black Viper to show before and after following the steps in the how-to.

Hope this helps...

Mike

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing. Just used a little elbow grease and removed the stuck on clay. Then washed it with a microfibre sponge and it was gone.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a clay bar on my wifes black 911 a few years back.....scratched the whole car. I ended up having to machine buff the thing. I used plenty of lube and it still scratched. I did find out that there are different grades of clay bar.....kinda like different grades of sandpaper.

OP
OP
F

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the scratchX and my problem was solved! This stuff worked like magic. Thanks to everyone with their posts and special props to Mike Phillips and his post.