Open Fluid Shelf Life Question

TopGear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So cleaning out the garage and interested in what chemicals if already opened can be used or should be disposed of.

Synthetic Engine Oil
Synthetic Transmission Oil
Rear End Axle Oil
Antifreeze coolant
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid

All been opened well over 2 Years ago.

Thank!

:eater:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think any of it is hurt, brake fluid absorbs 2% moisture a year , but in the can im shure its fine

am.mscl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake fluid over a week old of being open = trash it. That is my policy.
Other fluids should be fine.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So cleaning out the garage and interested in what chemicals if already opened can be used or should be disposed of.

Synthetic Engine Oil
Synthetic Transmission Oil
Rear End Axle Oil
Antifreeze coolant
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid

All been opened well over 2 Years ago.

Thank!

:eater:

The engine oil, trans oil, axle oil, coolant, and power steering fluid will be fine. Mineral or synthetic oils are unlike water and don't attract it. It would be the air (oxygen) exposure that causes deterioration and in reality, only if they were hot.

The brake fluid is hydroscopic and will absorb moisture, sometime even through the plastic containers they come in. Unlike the other fluids, which will be able to boil off and vent any water accumulation, the brake lines are closed systems and water vapor will produce the "spongy brake" feel just when you don't want it. Toss the brake fluid, it's cheap.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am picky about my brake fluid, as soon as I get it I keep it in my house and use it right away! ...but I also track my Viper and want fresh fluid every month:)

The other fluids I have kept in my garage for years and used from opem containers without any problems!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi