Opening the hood a few more inches?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever come up with a way to open the hood more on a Gen 1/2 so you can have more room to work under the hood without removing it? I'm wanting to open the hood another 6 inches or more. Just wondering if anyone has successfully changed the hood springs or found another way. I know there would be a lot involved so it still opens and closes the same. Has anyone ever attempted it? Thanks!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 9 years following this forum, I do not remember anyone posting about it. I wouldn't doubt that a custom multilink lift mechanism could be designed to do what you desire; but, would be a cost is no object deal.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything either. The fact that the hood comes off and requires no adjustment when placing back on is probably the reason why nothing exists.

I know BMW/Volvo have service positions for their hoods. It can be done but would require replacing the entire hinge/spring system.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We looked at it a little bit yesterday and we might have found a way to do it, but it will require more time and planning. I think we are on the right track but it will be several more weeks before we are ready to put the hood back on and try it out. It doesn't look to difficult just very time consuming. I'll post what we came up with, but if anyone has any suggestions please post them. Thanks!