Opinions - 08 SRT Coupe vs 09 ACR

Ludington1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my first post here, great site! I'm a long-time Mopar fan with a couple of old ones, but starting to get serious about purchasing a Viper.

I'm pretty set on a GenIV, and currently trying to decide between a used 08 coupe or a new 09 ACR. I'll have to scrape up and save a while longer to get the ACR (Tomball or Baxter have a few great choices), but could probably make the 08 happen fairly quickly.

As for use, it would just be a cruiser/toy, zero or very little track time. I know the overall performance benefits of the ACR and the look is amazing, but I'm curious from real-world experience about any comfort trade-offs, where as just a cruiser the 08 would be the better decision. How does the ride and handling compare between the two as a street car, not as a race car? As far as I know, that's really where the difference would be... correct?

Thanks again for access to this great site, and thanks in advance for any opinions.

Darren

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my first post here, great site! I'm a long-time Mopar fan with a couple of old ones, but starting to get serious about purchasing a Viper.

I'm pretty set on a GenIV, and currently trying to decide between a used 08 coupe or a new 09 ACR. I'll have to scrape up and save a while longer to get the ACR (Tomball or Baxter have a few great choices), but could probably make the 08 happen fairly quickly.

As for use, it would just be a cruiser/toy, zero or very little track time. I know the overall performance benefits of the ACR and the look is amazing, but I'm curious from real-world experience about any comfort trade-offs, where as just a cruiser the 08 would be the better decision. How does the ride and handling compare between the two as a street car, not as a race car? As far as I know, that's really where the difference would be... correct?

Thanks again for access to this great site, and thanks in advance for any opinions.

Darren

The regular coupe will be better for the needs you described. The ride in the ACR is worse, and they will handle the same unless you are going fast enough to use the aero bits and you get the tires on the ACR nice and hot. Good luck with your decision!

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would generally agree with the above reply but would also point out that the ACR comes with adjustable coil over shocks. You can easily adjust the compression and rebound depending on whether you are on the track or street. There are multiple settings so the ride of the ACR can be as comfortable on the street as the coupe. If you prefer the looks of the ACR I would definitely recommend it as it is otherwise similar to the coupe. If not, go with the coupe.
PAVenomRT/10
2000 RT/10
09 ACR

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Both of the Vipers mentioned above are GREAT CARS.

I would suggest that you pick the lowest mileage, best condition, no-stories Viper that you can find and BUY it as soon as it fits into your financial plans. I would NOT wait too long!!!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned both an 08 coupe and 09 ACR. In my case (maybe just the build) find the ACR rides and drives better than the coupe. I did swap out the sport cups for PS2's. I really love the looks of both cars but the ACR just kicks it up a notch and looks a lot more racey.

Bruce

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would generally agree with the above reply but would also point out that the ACR comes with adjustable coil over shocks. You can easily adjust the compression and rebound depending on whether you are on the track or street. There are multiple settings so the ride of the ACR can be as comfortable on the street as the coupe. If you prefer the looks of the ACR I would definitely recommend it as it is otherwise similar to the coupe. If not, go with the coupe.
PAVenomRT/10
2000 RT/10
09 ACR

Are you running PS2's or the stock PSC's for tires? If you still have the stock tires, I would love to know what rebound and compression settings you are using? I have mine on full soft with the stock tires and it does not ride anywhere near as well as my 06 did with Kumho's (granted the Run Flats did not ride very well either). Thanks!

p.s. - that being said, I would not trade my ACR for any other Viper, the rougher ride is worth it. I might try PS2's for my next set of tires.

OP
OP
L

Ludington1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you running PS2's or the stock PSC's for tires? If you still have the stock tires, I would love to know what rebound and compression settings you are using? I have mine on full soft with the stock tires and it does not ride anywhere near as well as my 06 did with Kumho's (granted the Run Flats did not ride very well either). Thanks!

p.s. - that being said, I would not trade my ACR for any other Viper, the rougher ride is worth it. I might try PS2's for my next set of tires.

Thanks everyone, great feedback. Pretty much what I expected, although the ACR may not be quite as gentle on the street, it is probably worth the trade-off if I can get one.

Now time to look at the finances and see what I can put together...

Darren

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Darren

You have to go with what you love and if the ACR is more appealing to you then I say get an ACR. One of our site sponsors is running great deals on NEW ACR's right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4