Opinions Need on this Paint Scheme

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the last few months I have been talking about painting my blue coupe to SSG. I am sure you guys have seen the renderings and wheel options and so on. Well, it's getting time to spray the color and I am having second thoughts on the stripes. The ACR guys are at fault.

Here is the rendering I posted a few months back. In the first rendering, you will see the stripes will be about the same size as the '96 stripes and they will continue through the plate area on the rear. There will be an '08 hood also which is not in the first pic. The stripes will actually have somewhat of a taper from the rear to the front, but not much. The outside part of the stripes on the rear would be on the outside of the recessed area, where the plates go. This is the widest part of the stripe and will continue to the front where it will be the same size as the 96 GTS' stripes.

The emblems will be removed and replaced with airbrushed emblems. It will look exactly like factory, only black. Same goes with the Fangs emblem on the front fascia. The stripes would have a slight scaly pattern but hardly noticeable. Only under extreme scrutiny would you see the snakeskin pattern. The fog lamp area will also receive the same blacked-out treatment. The wheels shown are shiny, black outer lips with a semi-gloss black wheel. These have been finalized to a chrome lip, semi-gloss black center with powder coated, shiny inner barrels. The wheels will be finished by next week.

Now, in the second paint option everything remains the same, only the ACR black center takes the place of the stripes. I really like the look of the ACR, hence this rendering. I also like the SSG stripe. I am torn between the two and the more I think about it, the more I go crazy. If it were a customer's car, the decision would be easier to make. But because it's mine, it's a problem. I appreciate your comments.

Last edited:

6 speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the ACR look! It will turn more heads I would think.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too like the look of the ACR. I love the off center strip look. I guess because it is different than what everyone is use to. If I was to go with stripes on mine, it would be an off center red stripe.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the ACR scheme in flat black, and the driver's stripe in glossy black......Austin can you make it so #1?

I thought about the flat black but decided against it for two reasons. One, applying a flat black/clear will create an edge somewhat similar to the factory-supplied stripes. I am trying to get away from paint lines/edges. Two, flat black is a pain in the rear to maintain and I feel that just like other paint styles, it will go the way of the Dodo bird eventually.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about the flat black but decided against it for two reasons. One, applying a flat black/clear will create an edge somewhat similar to the factory-supplied stripes. I am trying to get away from paint lines/edges. Two, flat black is a pain in the rear to maintain and I feel that just like other paint styles, it will go the way of the Dodo bird eventually.

I disagree on flat black going away, but I do agree it is truly a plain in the **** to maintain. I had white stripes painted on my Ram SRT and had them blended and cleared into the exisiting paint.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a corner photoshop of the version at the top. I am now thinking that where the black paint comes down on the front fascia it might look better tapered following the hood/fender lines. I'll have to monkey around with that a little.

Sorry for the small pic. My attachment limit is running short.

Last edited:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn that looks good!

I did a corner photoshop of the version at the top. I am now thinking that where the black paint comes down on the front fascia it might look better tapered following the hood/fender lines. I'll have to monkey around with that a little.

Sorry for the small pic. My attachment limit is running short.

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I photoshopped an the ACR scheme with no drivers stripe but with dual, green stripes down the center. Looked like a watermelon, so that's out. I tried one thin, green stripe down the middle and it looked like I had two huge stripes. I tapered the black paint down through the fascia and I loved the look, but couldn't do the driver's stripe without curving it to the black. So, with all of this in mind, I will be going with my original decision of dual black stripes and forgoing the ACR look. Besides, it gives me a reason to work up to an ACR eventually. Thanks for all of the opinions, guys.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ssg acr with drivers stripe................best looking paint on a viper period!.........WOW!:omg:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its not really what you're wanting to do, but just ideas. I did these a couple years ago.

stripe_idea_2.jpg

stripe_idea_1.jpg

stripe_red_white_and_blue.jpg

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a trick question? ;-) The ACR by a landslide, looks incredible!

OP
OP
Z

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to take a poll at work just to see what everyone thinks. I thought I had my mind made up today to do the stripes. I will decide tomorrow officially but I will not let you guys know until the final unveiling.

I wouldn't mind having the front splitter and wing to complete the overall look, but don't have 45K lying around :). Something about the ACR scheme keeps reeling me back in. Back a couple of years ago I actually designed the same paint scheme that the ACR now sports, only it didn't have the driver's stripe. I think that is why I am partial to that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang