Opinions on Kustom House of Kolors Paint vs. Stock Venom Red on my Street Serpent

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback. My SRT rebuild is getting very close to the point where I need to make the final decision on my color. I am looking for a Dark Red - that does not look maroon - very similar to the new '08 Venom Red.

I have found a House of Kolors Dark Kandy Red that seems to fit the bill. If there are any HOK experts - it is the UK11 Apple Red over Shimrin Glamor Metalic Nova Orange BC08. The HOK paint will cost a little more and the labor will be more because of the additional coats.

The advantages of going with the stock Venom Red would include going with a known, stock color that could more easily touched up. The HOK paint job would be more of a show quality paint, but would be much more difficult to touch up. Not sure which would be better if I was going to sell in the future (I'm still in love with my '93, but will probably not be able to keep both.)

Any thoughts?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it is time to repaint my car, I'm going to go with HOK paint.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of repainting your car, I can't see why you would paint it a stock color.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently went to a car show that had beautiful million dollar cars all over, and in the middle was a Saleen S7TT in this glowing red paint job that just stood out like no other car there! :eek:

You must be registered for see images

The Street Serpent design is a real eye catcher, and accenting it with a stunning color will really show of the car's great lines off best. :D

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am very familiar with HOK (Prestigious Painter 2003) and I can tell you that if it is going to be a daily driver I would go with the factory color. The kandy is beautiful but as you said in your original post, it is tough to match. HOK makes another line of paints called Kandy Base Coats (KBC). They mimic the look of a kandy but not as tough to color-match. Check 'em out.

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That Saleen has to be one of the prettiest colors I have ever seen..reminds me a little of the AppleCandy we painted cars in the 70's with..but that shine you just have to dream about..two tumbs up to the artist that created that beauty :2tu:

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Z06KLR - sent you a PM.
Viperviking - have to agree, the Saleen Red looks pretty hot - although I did see a picture of that color on a GTS that looked less than impressive. Hard to tell from looking at pictures though.
I would try to post a color chip of the HOK color that I am leaning towards - but the color chips don't show very well on a computer screen. Seems that since I have a custom Viper, that I need to also go with a custom color. Really getting antsy to get this project done.

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used to have a show truck painted with HOK, and that truck literally looked like you could put your hand in it. HOK paint has a depth to it that I've never seen in any other paint.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Saleen is the only car I drool over besides Vipers. If they made a convertible Saleen...well now...hmmm

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOK is some really awesome paint. The KBC are a really good alternative too. Hard to tell the difference if they're not side by side.

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to get back to the paint shop to compare that Saleen Red with the HOK color I picked out as that looks awesome. Getting very, very anxious to get my SRT back. Could be a very long 3 weeks. Hope to post some pics soon.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just incredible as always Jeff.....08 with that treatment would be the pinnacle of Viperdom lookswise imho...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it is time to repaint my car, I'm going to go with HOK paint.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of repainting your car, I can't see why you would paint it a stock color.

I used to think the same thing. I wanted Orange but then changed my mind since the Sapphire Blue is so sweet looking.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently went to a car show that had beautiful million dollar cars all over, and in the middle was a Saleen S7TT in this glowing red paint job that just stood out like no other car there! :eek:

You must be registered for see images

The Street Serpent design is a real eye catcher, and accenting it with a stunning color will really show of the car's great lines off best. :D

I love that color. I was never a fan of the S7 because it looks way to big but I am a HUGE fan of the way Saleen made the cars and paints them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4