Opinions wanted about stripes

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a silver Gen III convertible for 2+ years. I love the Viper stripes. I also love this car and don't plan on selling it for a very long time if ever so I am not concerned about diminished value of a non-stock vehicle. What if I had black stripes painted on her? Has anyone had stripes painted on theirs not from factory? Thanks for any input!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is common for people do it in vinyl first. If they really like it later they will paint them on.
If I remember correctly all the factory painted stripes are actually painted on the car by Prefix(outside the factory) after the car is already built.
So you could almost say there are no Vipers with "Factory" stripes.

My vote would be for steel grey stripes!

Last edited:

Goehner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is common for people do it in vinyl first. If they really like it later they will paint them on.
If I remember correctly all the factory painted stripes are actually are painted on the car by Prefix(outside the factory) after the car is already built.
So you could almost say there are no Vipers with "Factory" stripes.

My vote would by for steel grey stripes!

Steel grey does look good, but almost anything looks good on silver, just a matter of what you like.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some for my Copperhead. IMO a Viper should have stripes. For a Silver Vert I'd go with silver stripes, one of the best combos out there.
:2tu:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some for my Copperhead. IMO a Viper should have stripes. For a Silver Vert I'd go with silver stripes, one of the best combos out there.
:2tu:

How can silver car with silver stripes be a combo? :dunno: Same color. Did you mean something different? Just checking.

Yes sir, I would like the #3 combo lunch today with fries and fries. :lmao:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people just need to be spoon fed...
:rolleyes:
This is a pick of the Cobra I almost got, sigh...

Sorry, but those are completely different shades of silver--you did not say that. Now I know what you are saying and it may help the guy decide. Sorry I am so stupid you had to roll you eyes at me. I think you have to be a paying VCA member to roll eyes (LOL) :) I'm just kidding. Were you?

By the way, the servants spoon feed me all the time... See, I'm rich, I own a Viper!

Last edited:

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but those are completely different shades of silver--you did not say that.
:hypno:
:eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eyecrazy:
:blah:
Pardon me for a second whilst I...
:brick:

OK, I'm back.
Hey, uh, dog, would you mind standing right over here and...now dont move...
:hitwithrock:
oh, I'm sorry, here...
:hit:
Jeeze, did I just do that, here have a seat...
:chair:

:confused:
:omg:OhNOWeyeSEEwutYOOmean!

What I shoulda said was "Silver on SlightlyDifferentBUTEasytoDistinguishFRomThe FIRSTSilver Silver".

My Bad.
:bleh:

And, yes, I'm just kidding.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The most commone Viper stripes are, of course, handed down from C. Shelby's Cobra and Daytona Coupes. When North America entered the World racing league there were no colors left for North America so we were awarded Blue AND White as North American Racing Colors. The wide stripes were designed by Shelby and sine he was involved with Viper planning and design at the beginning, I beleive that to be the reason for the "Shelby style stripes" on Vipers. My Sapphire car has silver stripes. Leslie had straight Sapphire and added stripes to her GTS. She loves the car much more and she decided to make her stripes go through the license plate area which makes her Sapphire/Silver a custom job. Send her a pm.

My Red Roe supercharged GTS had silver vinyl stripes on it and it looked awesome.

Ted

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hypno:
:eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eyecrazy:
:blah:
Pardon me for a second whilst I...
:brick:

OK, I'm back.
Hey, uh, dog, would you mind standing right over here and...now dont move...
:hitwithrock:
oh, I'm sorry, here...
:hit:
Jeeze, did I just do that, here have a seat...
:chair:

:confused:
:omg:OhNOWeyeSEEwutYOOmean!

What I shoulda said was "Silver on SlightlyDifferentBUTEasytoDistinguishFRomThe FIRSTSilver Silver".

My Bad.
:bleh:

And, yes, I'm just kidding.

I am honored you spent so much time making all the funny things in that post all for me. Nice job. I think I owe you at least one:

:buttkick:

There, that ought to do it. Hey, have a great day BolsOut and keep the sense of humor going. I still like blue stripes on a silver car best. But silver on silver looks good as long as you can tell the stripe is there... If I were *** I would say "as long as they don't clash and they coordinate". :D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most commone Viper stripes are, of course, handed down from C. Shelby's Cobra and Daytona Coupes. When North America entered the World racing league there were no colors left for North America so we were awarded Blue AND White as North American Racing Colors. The wide stripes were designed by Shelby and sine he was involved with Viper planning and design at the beginning, I beleive that to be the reason for the "Shelby style stripes" on Vipers. My Sapphire car has silver stripes. Leslie had straight Sapphire and added stripes to her GTS. She loves the car much more and she decided to make her stripes go through the license plate area which makes her Sapphire/Silver a custom job. Send her a pm.

My Red Roe supercharged GTS had silver vinyl stripes on it and it looked awesome.

Ted

yeh I was gonna go vinyl but then the installer called me and said he would paint for the same price 'cause he's a painter at heart and had the booth at his house:D worked for me, I personally just never saw taking the tape off and if I did I would want to fix the paint anyway.

wow with vinyl OR paint you could do a darker silver/grey, carbon fiber with snake peel in it, blue, white, pearl white, black, even maroon, it's endless.

I would maybe decide on the color based on your wheels...?

here's some pics of my paint job:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629349-painting-stripes-gts-pics.html

OP
OP
K

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all that responded!! I am definitely going to go with the stripes. Now I have to choose a color and will it be vinyl or paint. Is there a standard size/location of said stripes? Also, will vinyl stay on at 190+ MPH?:drive:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all that responded!! I am definitely going to go with the stripes. Now I have to choose a color and will it be vinyl or paint. Is there a standard size/location of said stripes? Also, will vinyl stay on at 190+ MPH?:drive:

190+ WOW!
The vinyl stripes would be the last thing I would worry about at that speed. :omg:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With some of the companies doing wraps and stripe jobs, they are able to do vinyl stripes that look perfect. For the cost and fact that you can reverse it later, go with a quality vinyl job. Plus, if you think something isn't lined up perfect, they can pull off the stripe and re-lay it. Can't do that with a paint job :(

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it right and have it painted. I have never seen decals that can wrap around the front/center that looked good. If you want it to look factory you need to get the correct measurements. Stripes get wider front to back and the space between gets wider also.

OP
OP
K

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having trouble locating specs on the stripes such as width and placement. Can anyone help me on where to find or could you be as so kind to do a few measurements? Thanks everyone-even the smiley face arguers.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I was gonna go vinyl but then the installer called me and said he would paint for the same price 'cause he's a painter at heart and had the booth at his house:D worked for me, I personally just never saw taking the tape off and if I did I would want to fix the paint anyway.

wow with vinyl OR paint you could do a darker silver/grey, carbon fiber with snake peel in it, blue, white, pearl white, black, even maroon, it's endless.

I would maybe decide on the color based on your wheels...?

here's some pics of my paint job:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/629349-painting-stripes-gts-pics.html

maroon? bad girl- no no.:rant: