Optima battery advice

VIPER BIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched the forums, reviewed the How to section, & determined that the Optima 7535 Red top is the most "popular" battery for replacement. Finally got to my old battery, got the Optima home.....& it doesn't fit! I know "it will be tight" was commonly used in the postings, but nearly 1/4 inch on the negative top post is a bit more than "tight". I can't figure out what I am doing wrong when so many others are using this model!!!

Any suggestions???

Thanks!
Derek
:usa:

vipurrman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the Optima in my 95 Rt for 3 years with NO problems. What I did, was trim the lead posts with a hacksaw blade, and then covered the cut posts with P-Tex. The P-Tex is still in place, and to date I've had NO problems at all.

Steve J.

:2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the posts can destroy the battery and of course void the waranty.Mine didn't fit either until I did some tray stretching with a bottle jack. GTS Bruce

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried cutting off the terminal. Apparantly I cut too much and had to talk the sales clerk into taking it back.

I went with a Sears Diehard. Good enough for street use.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good enough for street use as Chuck says is right but if you plan to track it much then you need a battery that won't leak acid under g loads.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Optima the only gel battery out there? Are there any others that will simply fit all vipers?

:confused: :confused:

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had talked to optima's technical C S, :2tu: If you cut to much off the battery it will short out internally when the cables are hooked up. After cutting off the lead melt it down & re apply it to the cut you made it will work fine.

Reaction score
Sorry your search did not pull up the history for this topic. The battery tray to frame varies form car to car. The top post may clear or hit depending on luck. I know the problem well as I had the same experience with my 96RT. The Optima is a great product if it fits your battery tray. Not so good if it hits the frame. Best to go with a stock battery and change it every three years.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had talked to optima's technical C S, :2tu: If you cut to much off the battery it will short out internally when the cables are hooked up. After cutting off the lead melt it down & re apply it to the cut you made it will work fine.

I cut the positive post completely off and melted the the top of the cut post and it works fine. :usa:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My OEM stock battery will be going into it's 6th season this spring with over 44,000 miles on it. It has a battery tender on it from November to mid-April(no additional charging during the summer driving season). Knock on wood, I have never any problem with it. I get to a track once or twice a year and several autocrosses. I have never had a leakage problem with the battery. I don't understand why anyone, short of guys who do a lot of racing, would screw around with the Optima battery and the potential problems it's presents with the posts and battery tray.....every car being a little different. It's definitely not worth it to me. I'll be buying a stock battery when this one goes.

Steve

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way to fix the problem is to lay the battery on its side and use two marine terminals to extend the cable reach. The install looks factory and has caused me no problems in the two years it's been installed.

**Remember the Optima is a Gell battery and will not leak no matter it's orientation.

Cutting the posts on this battery is a risky move because the terminal has a circuit inside of it. If you cut to much you WILL sever the circuit and you'll have the joy of buying another $130 battery.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way to fix the problem is to lay the battery on its side and use two marine terminals to extend the cable reach. The install looks factory and has caused me no problems in the two years it's been installed.

**Remember the Optima is a Gell battery and will not leak no matter it's orientation.

Cutting the posts on this battery is a risky move because the terminal has a circuit inside of it. If you cut to much you WILL sever the circuit and you'll have the joy of buying another $130 battery.

You are correct about the terminal. As I mentioned above, it's easy to solder back together and will work fine thereafter. :2tu:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Interstate series 78 battery. It's worked perfectly for three years, and I only drive the car on weekends. I also ruined a couple of Optimas before realizing you cannot cut the top terminals. Interstate batteries are sold only in repair shops and dealers. They carry a nation wide warranty with free replacement within 18 months. I'm sure they would charge a viper owner labor since it's just a little more difficult to replace. John

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Optima is a great track battery. From one who's had to clean batery acid off the tray, the lower frame horns, the rear fascia and rear fascia bolts, it's a PITA and I have an aversion to having a battery leak acid all over my car.

There are other options - dry cells, real race batteries, etc., but the Optima is a widely available battery that solves a real issue for cars that are tracked or driven aggressively.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Optima is not a gel cell. It is a lead acid batttery as well. Put it on it's side at your own risk.

You must be registered for see images

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the Exide Select Orbital uses the same technology as Optima.

Anyone have any experience with fitting one of these in the Viper?

OP
OP
V

VIPER BIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AMEN!!
I really appreciate the replies on this post! Just my opinion, but maybe the "how to" section that suggests using an Optima should also clarify the issues that will occur.

Thanks to all that gave me their thoughts!! :2tu:

Derek
:usa:

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks like the Exide Select Orbital uses the same technology as Optima.

Anyone have any experience with fitting one of these in the Viper?

I think that is the same battery that was failing like crazy in Vettes. I could be wrong though.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses,
Whether it is gel or not it dosen't matter in the least.

I have run my Optima redtop for over two years on its side and no problems because the factory guarentees it to be "Spill Proof" as the cells are sealed.

Taken directly from www.optimabatteries.com:

"Vehicles modified for better engine performance demand more from a battery. OPTIMA batteries withstand the high underhood temperatures The sealed cells make the battery spill-proof, even if you install it on its side! This prevents external gassing and leaking which can damage engine components and limit battery performance."

One of the best Viper Tuners around (Tom Sessions) is where I learned of this install procedure and I'm sure he is way more knowledgeable than most regarding this subject.

So you guys can stop your cutting of batteries and bending of battery trays to install an Optima. :2tu:

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tiepilot,

A lot of people think these are gel cells, I wanted to point out that it isn't. It's still a lead acid battery. In the matter of leakage, this is where it does matter since acid reacts quickly.

In relation to guarantees, you have to be careful of the wording. In my short time working with batteries, I have learned that battery manufacturers make "claims" and "warantee" batteries, but they do not guarantee any claims.

Addressing the terms "sealed" and "spill proof", these terms are defined in their patent #5,599,641 "Battery Terminal and Case Structure". These terms refer to the cover of the casing and the terminal isolation. The cover of an Optima is different from other batteries in that it does not have a pop top. It is one unit "bonded" to the casing.

So, as to why I say "Put it on it's side at your own risk", You have a lead acid battery, with a cover bonded to the casing (and therefore a seam), lying on it's side. This is most likely okay for a daily driver. However, if you are a racer, subjecting your car to high G's and abrupt jarring during off road excursions, this may not be a good idea.

High G's over time, could lead to the electrolyte separation from the saturated fibre material and pooling. Extreme vibrations from jarring could lead to a separation of the seam between cover and casing, allowing the pooled electrolyte to seep from the battery laying on it's side.

If you are a racer and you use an Optima, it's probably better if you keep it standing upright.

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a lot of mis-information about the Optima batteries being a gel-cell; I had a guy at Murray's mad enough about it that tears were coming from his eyes (I was nice and everything, he just felt strongly about it I guess).

Anyways, forgive me that I dont have the Optima part numbers, but I put a redtop in my 98 GTS about a year ago. Murray's had two redtops that were similar in size. Out of not knowing which would fit I bought them both with intention of returning the incorrect one.

Once I got home I found that the larger one would fit if I extended the hangers, but the smaller one would fit just fine with no modification. So I just went with the smaller one to save the trouble. The smaller of the two redtops still had more CA & CCAs than the stock battery.

For good measure, I made sure the top post covers were on securely so they didnt contact anything..

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you point Ulysses and I too was misinformed about the battery being a gel-cell.

I have checked my battery several times since I installed it and so far is working as advertised (knock on wood).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala