Optima Battery

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to replace my battery. I have a 99 RT/10. Which model optima should I get 75/35 or 78/34. I looked at the previous posts and some people said the 75/35 fits better then 78/34..Has any installed these without modifying the battery..I appreciate all your help..Please help asap..i'm going through withdrawal :( ...

thanks in advance

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 78/34 in my 1998 RT. The posts are close to the frame, but not touching (1/4+" gap or so). I left the top terminal plastic cap on the battery for protection. However, the same battery 78/34 did not fit in my friends 1999 RT (well it fit but the top posts were too close, almost touching). It seems there can be quite the significant tollerance in the battery tray itself. Buy and try.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the 78/34 Optima redtop this weekend in my '96 and I took pic's of the install. You do not have to trim any battery terminals or bend your tray.

Lay the battery on it's side with the side posts down, buy a marine brass terminal clamp kit from Auto Zone. The kit clamps onto your top posts and has screws with wing nuts to attach your battery cables to. You will have to unscrew your cable's terminal screws and merely slip the cables onto the brass screws and tighten them down with the wing nuts.

The Optima would not fit standing straight up in the tray but fits perfect laying on it's side, remember these are NOT lead acid battery and they are unspillable so it's orientation in the car does not matter. I had to add 3 washers to shim up the battery clamp/lock to grab the battery and it is rock solid tight.

I will post the install pics when I get the film developed, the install looks factory perfect.

OP
OP
B

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guy for your response..I have another question that I forgot to ask..I saw this in the previous thread about optima batterys..someone mentioned something about a sensor in the battery tray and that the battery needs to be in contact with it..Since the optima is shaped different..does it still make contact with this sensor?

thanks for all your help..

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"remember these are NOT lead acid battery"

Just a correction. Optima's are lead acid batteries, they just have the acid in a gel and the lead in a spiral configuration.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"remember these are NOT lead acid battery"

Just a correction. Optima's are lead acid batteries, they just have the acid in a gel and the lead in a spiral configuration.

:D Doh...My Bad. I was trying to imply that they are not traditional lead acid spillable batteries.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
What ever you do, don't try to trim or cut the battery posts. This will ruin the battery in a very short time and it voids the warrenty.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what he said!...it voids the warranty to cut the terminals....even if the 16yo. rocket scientist at the local auto zone say....uhhh it's cool dude, no problem we'll make it fit. ohh...baddasp...where in fairfax are you from? maybe you've seen me....94 red r/t "venimos" on the tag...curious if I know you

OP
OP
B

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Scott,

What's up? I haven't talk to you in awhile..I sold my 93 and purchased this 99 last year...So when are we gonna see your custom paint job..Are you going to the ******* meeting..it got cancelled last Saturday due to all this rain..Well..if you go, i'll see your there..

Asif

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
prodiver: I do not recomend this, just call me lucky

fwiw I have had an optima in my '96 gts for over 3 years. When I first tried to install it the posts hit the frame. Determined to make it fit I decided to cut off the posts flush with the top of the battery. Yeah right. After cutting them off flush with the battery top it turns out the posts had an inner core and an outer section separted by what looked like tar or something which was an insulater or something. It killed the battery--yikes--big, expensive mistake.

Well then I decided to take my soldering iron and run a layer of solder over the inner and outer sections ie solder them back together on the off chance that might make it ok. I was rather nervous taking a soldering iron to a battery, but I could not bear to throw a $150 optima away, so lo and behold when I finished soldering and I tested it, it worked and I did not blow myself up in the process. I installed it and it fit fine with the posts now flush and is still in the car today and so far no problems. I never thought about laying it on its side. Please do not try this at home as I think I was just lucky.

eagles