Original run flat tires from my 2004, how much better would be non-run flats?

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This weekend as I was coming around a corner pretty quickly, enjoying myself and feeling the rear end getting unsettled, I started to think. It's no question that run flats ****. But how about OLD run flats? Are tires from 2004 (hell maybe 2003 inservice date for all I know) going to be considerably harder and less sticky?

If I were to buy new tires, how much better would my car handle?

Edit: Can a mod toss this in tires? I forgot about that section.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, you gotta get upgraded to VIPER OWNER!!!! PM your VIN# to the moderators (citysnake/lee00blacksilvergts/big-n-italian) and they'll upgrade you~! AND, always, always, always: LISTEN to the VIPER WIZARD! ~juli

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This weekend as I was coming around a corner pretty quickly, enjoying myself and feeling the rear end getting unsettled, I started to think. It's no question that run flats ****. But how about OLD run flats? Are tires from 2004 (hell maybe 2003 inservice date for all I know) going to be considerably harder and less sticky? If I were to buy new tires, how much better would my car handle?

There are dozens of anecdotes posted here that could lead one to belive you are VERY LUCKY

"Ditch The RunCraps BEFORE they Ditch YOU."

Thanks Chuck, we are confident we have the best prices, and tires IN STOCK, cheap shipping, and NO TAX..... DO IT NOW, it will transform the ride and the handling. Fact.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen to me the last two times I took the car out...luckily I was at a dead stop and starting to turn, so I felt it slip, but not fast enough to do anything bad (but the pucker factor did go up quite a bit).

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe this weekend I'll see about getting a ride with someone who doesn't have run flats to see the difference.

From what I'm reading, if I want a bit of track use, it looks like the Cups are the way to go? Are they a significant step up from PS2s?

Last edited:

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess someone has to take the counterpoint and I would not have except I recently upgraded to the Viper specific PS2 and realized that 1. Run flats properly warmed up are much better than than given credit.2 If you think you are going to pull out of your garage and gass it with your PS 2 you will crash. 3. This car demands total respect it is not given. That said the PS2 is a very good tire and I would not put any tire but Michelin on the beast.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 8 year old PS1's on my GenII. In fact, its their birthday this month as they were born the 50th week of 2000. :D Only recently did I have a couple of pucker moments but absolutely ditch the run flats for PS2's. I got a quote from Don at Tire Option and WOW...what a great price. :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that one of the new Site Sponsors located here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

:tx:

My new tread is coming from Dan at Viper Specialty. He's tucking some iForged Classics inside the big center hole of each tire for me...

My next call is to Dan as well. I owe him some purchases for helping me through my rocker/pushrod upgrade this past summer. Now that the Viper is up on jack stands in the garage for the winter, I'm making my list of 'stuff' I 'need', checking it twice, and will make some calls to Dan.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really hope you guys aren't exaggerating, otherwise it sounds like fun :)

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of SRT-10 OEM size "Non Run-flat" Pilot Sports for sale with <1,000 miles. PM me if interested.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody I have talked to says the new PS2's are great. My '01 ACR has them but I got the car in bad weather (bought at the end of november) and it is put away for the winter :( so I could not tell you the difference. All I know is I have read too many posts this year of people loseing their cars because of bad/old tires. Give Jon B. a call. From what I have seen he has the best price on PS2's anywhere! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang