OS Giken Questions

doug fresh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had an OS Giken diff installed and going through the break in period I notice that when going from a dead stop and while taking off making a right or left hand turn I can hear a clunk in the rear almost like something is binding. I was told this is the diff locking and unlocking, does this sound normal ?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is perfectly normal. Just make sure you do the break in. In tight turns you will get this This diff is pretty much bullet proof you will be happy with it.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup totally normal during the first few hundred miles. Around 200 miles is when mine stopped making the noise. I have read that the giken is designed in such a way and has such tight tolerences that it doesn't require break in. Did you do gears also? Gears however do require a break in period.

The OS Giken is amazing. It is a vast improvement and 1000 times safer that the stock unit. Hitting the track soon to test it in the corners.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The OS requires a special fluid, are you using it?

Reaction score
Can someone who has used both a Quaife and an OSGuilken tell me what the differences are in performance?
Dave,

I have had the Quaife foe 5500 miles and the Giken for 400 now. The Quaife is still my choice for most drivers with less experience because it does a great job of keeping the rear in the rear. In hard driving though if you get an inside wheel light the handling and power application is inconsistent.

The Giken on the other hand since it will lock and you get the 100% to the outside tire just plain takes off out of the corner and it will react the exact same each time, so you feel the tire at the edge better. When the unit starts to engage and lock the car straightens out a bit and gives you great confidence to get into the gas early. For autocross and the track I have been really shocked at the difference it makes it the speed you are capable of. Off throttle the thing just turns in with no drama and you will be able to control rotation with the throttle.

Have to admit I was skeptical at first because I loved the Quaife so much over the stock diffs. I only endorse things that I believe in though so until I had the chance to try it myself That was the case. Now that I have I'm very proud to be able to say that I love it and will be glad to offer it to my customers!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I've tracked (road course) a Mustang with a Detroit Locker before and it scared the heck out of me, especially at the top of the down hill leading to turn 12 at Road Atlanta. I felt like it was going to drive me straight off the road. Hated it. Put in an Auburn High torque posi and it was much better.

Given this experience I have been reluctant to change the rear in my 06 Viper. I hate the feeling of the diff when it is locked. Seems like both wheels want to drive you straight off the road. Do the OS Guilken and the Quaife lock fully on power application or do they act more like a posi?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, a Detroit Locker on a lightweight road race car..I don't think that is the best choice. I have one in a 1986 Suburban with giant tires and lift. I can steer the truck through corners by getting on and off the gas, it is that "violent". My truck weighs over 6500 lbs empty. It does provide awesome traction but you have to very careful on icy crowned roads or slick sidehill work. I really can't imagine how the Mustang must have handled. And it is very sensitive to side to side tire inflation...both tires better be the same diameter or it pushes you around even worse.

Mark, thanks for the report, that is very helpful. One thing that nobody talks about is the increased "compression braking" traction that a diff like the Giken can provide. Have you noticed any difference between the Giken and the Quaife in this regards when downshifting hard before a corner? If I understand how a Quaife works, it could allow one tire to free wheel under compression braking more than the Giken. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
George

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, a Detroit Locker on a lightweight road race car..I don't think that is the best choice. I have one in a 1986 Suburban with giant tires and lift. I can steer the truck through corners by getting on and off the gas, it is that "violent". My truck weighs over 6500 lbs empty. It does provide awesome traction but you have to very careful on icy crowned roads or slick sidehill work. I really can't imagine how the Mustang must have handled. And it is very sensitive to side to side tire inflation...both tires better be the same diameter or it pushes you around even worse.

Mark, thanks for the report, that is very helpful. One thing that nobody talks about is the increased "compression braking" traction that a diff like the Giken can provide. Have you noticed any difference between the Giken and the Quaife in this regards when downshifting hard before a corner? If I understand how a Quaife works, it could allow one tire to free wheel under compression braking more than the Giken. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
George

Tell me about it. It wasn't my idea but the shop that prepped the car and that prepped a lot of vintage Shelbys said it was the hot ticket. I got rid of it darn quick. Either way I don't think I've ever seen a really good explanation of what the Quaife or the OSGuilken do when you put the power down in a straight line or while turning. That's what I'd really like to know.

Reaction score
The Quaife will not ever really free wheel because it is all gear driven. I feel that under coast or neutral throttle the Giken turns better, but I like the over rotation and then driving on the throttle rather than having initial push so it is working better for me then the Quaife in that respect. During throttle input though if you are not smooth you can get the back loose with either while turning. The balance of the Mustang is nothing really like the Viper though so they will work and feel different for every application.

You can feel what the Giken is doing back there and not so much with the Quaife, this is why it is easier for me to drive I guess.

Mark, I've tracked (road course) a Mustang with a Detroit Locker before and it scared the heck out of me, especially at the top of the down hill leading to turn 12 at Road Atlanta. I felt like it was going to drive me straight off the road. Hated it. Put in an Auburn High torque posi and it was much better.

Given this experience I have been reluctant to change the rear in my 06 Viper. I hate the feeling of the diff when it is locked. Seems like both wheels want to drive you straight off the road. Do the OS Guilken and the Quaife lock fully on power application or do they act more like a posi?

Reaction score
The Quaife will tend to steer the car by moving the grip back and forth across the car to the wheels that have the traction. This is like the stability twin engines give you in a boat. I use this for my analogy when describing the feeling I sense. It is constantly shifting though because it never really locks in 100% to both wheels.

The Giken will fully lock 100% to each in straight acceleration. This can cause the rear to walk around a little, but the Giken has clutch plates so it does not "hit" the tire as hard initially and allows the weight to get to the tire before the full lock happens, (that's what it feels like to me). If the weight is pushing down more when the power hits the chance of a solid straight launch improves. IMHO.

Tell me about it. It wasn't my idea but the shop that prepped the car and that prepped a lot of vintage Shelbys said it was the hot ticket. I got rid of it darn quick. Either way I don't think I've ever seen a really good explanation of what the Quaife or the OSGuilken do when you put the power down in a straight line or while turning. That's what I'd really like to know.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug here is some info on my orginal post on the Giken.
OS Super Lock LSD
OS Giken Co. Ltd. of Japan h as recently introduced its highly respected and race proven OS Super Lock LSD. The Super Lock was in development for four years before its initial release.
The OS Giken Super Lock LSD is more closely related to the disc-based TracLok LSD found in the Dodge Viper from 1992 through 2002. However, that is where the comparison ends. The revolutionary Super Lock is a true 100% locking LSD that instantly reacts and transitions smoothly from both free and locked positions, combining open differential drivability and limited slip differential performance and stability.
The OS Giken Super Lock features innovative technologies like the adjustable lock timing adjuster. Lock timing can be adjusted by replacing the springs in the pressure ring. Initial torque settings also adjustable through cone springs located at ends of clutch stacks. This allows the Super Lock to be tuned to meet your exact needs for optimum performance. UNITRAX is an authorized tune center and can discuss tuning for a variety of environments.

OS Giken is committed to producing an extreme quality LSD. Every Super Lock is manufactured from only the finest materials, regardless of the production cost. The Super Lock housing is manufactured from a proprietary billet steel alloy which is then heat-treated when finished. The gears are all hot forged. This attention to detail improves the precision and performance of the product.

U.S. patented bevel gear-in-pressure ring mechanism has enabled OS Giken engineers to miniaturize each gear, thus providing more space for up to an unprecedented number (28) of all-steel friction plates. The Increased number of friction plates improves the locking force of the LSD enabling it to lock fully and completely. An added benefit to being a fully locking mechanism is that less heat is generated, thus resulting in incredibly higher durability and reliability in even in the toughest racing environments.

OS Giken states that they have tested the Super Lock for over 22,000 performance miles and upon inspection of the unit, there was no wear, no loss of initial torque, and no loss of performance. UNITRAX has inspected a Super Lock that was run in three race seasons. The unit showed no signs of wear and many of the components looked as if they had just come out of production.

The higher locking force provides excellent straight-line stability at the drag strip. The Super Lock will lock 100% and transfer torque equally to each wheel.

You will experience less under-steer during cornering. When entering a corner with the throttle closed, the spring inside the pressure control ring will react accordingly and immediately return the Super Lock to its original torque settings. When exiting a corner, the Super Lock’s transition to the 100% locked position is smooth and predictable, resulting in better traction, stability and quicker exit speeds.
One key feature separating the Super Lock from our other clutch type LSD’s is that with the Spec-S (standard) settings, the Super Lock is actually able to function as a open differential at low speed/low torque situations. Thus, when performing a normal slow speed turn (such as a right hand turn on the street) or backing out of a parking space, our differential functions as a normal open differential, allowing smooth turning without premature wheel lock. Of course with performance settings, such as drift which would require a much higher setting of initial torque, some premature locking may occur.
The Super Lock does not require that the stub axles be drilled. The OS Giken engineers designed the unit to be center-weighted. The unit comes with a new long stub axle so both stub axles will be the same length. It is recommended to use O.S. Giken’s or Schaeffer’s 80w250, or Synergyn Syngear II.
The Super Lock is used competitively in the U.S.A., Europe, U.A.E., Japan, Greece, and Australia. It also has a large following in the drifting community.
The OS Giken Super Lock meets the needs of the demanding driver who is comfortable with the way his SRT 10 feels with the stock Hydra-Lok or Visco-Lok but wants the tuneability, dependability, and durability that a fully race-engineered and manufactured LSD offers. The Super Lock may quickly become the preferred choice in the Viper race community

OP
OP
D

doug fresh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's responses, I wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong before i really start driving it. I replaced the 333 gears with new ones so i still in break in mode. Should be good to go for this weekend.:2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug i didn't realize that was you. Good purchase. You will love it especially considering all the power you have. The car launches and stays needle straight under power. Definitely inspires more confidence and is much more predictable than the stocker. The clanking will go away. Just give it some time. Like I said around 200 miles, which is the break in for gears, mine stopped doing it. I went with 3.33s when i did mine.

Have you been at Captree lately? I havent seen you.

I did use the supplied oil that came with unit.

OP
OP
D

doug fresh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doug i didn't realize that was you. Good purchase. You will love it especially considering all the power you have. The car launches and stays needle straight under power. Definitely inspires more confidence and is much more predictable than the stocker. The clanking will go away. Just give it some time. Like I said around 200 miles, which is the break in for gears, mine stopped doing it. I went with 3.33s when i did mine.

Have you been at Captree lately? I havent seen you.
I was there last week, I'll be out this week for sure. Weather is supposed to be beautiful, can't wait to see how she runs.:2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine