Over Matched? (Photo)

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my home from work on Friday, a beautiful day in San Diego, and my left rear tire ran up against a 3 inch screw. The tire was no match for this encounter. Lucky for me, my wife could load up one of my race tires and aluminum jack and drive out to where I was stuck.
The tire went down slowly so I had time to get well off the road. Guess it is time for new tires anyway.

http://www.morganriver.com/images/house/vipertire.jpg

Vipermad made this a link to save the format of the page....BIG image!!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patch it. I just had a similar incident yesterday. A 2 inch finishing nail.. bent into an "L" shape.

It went in my sidewall... and twisted up into the "cross section" of the sidewall..... I had to repalce the tire.

Luckily... a local VCA buddy had an extra Pilot.. with almost identical tread wear.... I bought his for a reasonable price.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but most people told me that Viper Days would not allow a plugged or patched tire, and most everbody I talked to after I had a similar screw in my tire said that for a tire that is probably going to visit speeds in excess of 100+ mph from time to time, and the heat involved, that it was always best to buy a new tire. I could be surrounded by a bunch of conservative people, anybody else have some scientific data on this?

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I JUST read an article in one of the mags about whether or not a properly patched tire effects the speed rating. The answer - A resounding NO. Of course, the puncture can not be in the side wall. If you want to be sure, call a Mich. rep. to play it safe. But this article basically stated patching a tire properly makes it perfectly useable in all conditions. They implied it was an 'urban legend' that the speed rating decreased or the maximum performance of the tire was reduced in any way.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OneRareViper,
What magazine, and what month? I would love to check the article out, so I don't have to buy new tires all of the time.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth risking your life, and others, by patching & plugging? Spend the money on a new tire!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would not be risking your life if it is done properly, according to this article.

I will try and find the magazine and post. Problem is, once a month I go to Borders Bookstore and skim through every auto mag. So I can't make any promises, but I will try.

Every if I do find the article, I would still call Michelan to be 100% sure. Plain and simple, just ask them if a properly patched tire effects the speed rating or integrity of the tire.

iceshank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me i have plugged many tires before you are not going to hurt anything. As long as its not in the side wall if that happend i would buy a new tire. The photo of the screw is right on the tread just plug it. If you want to make sure use two plugs and a lot of glue. Speed will not affect it i have gone well over 158mph with 3 plugs in one tire :) To buy a new tire because of that is something i have never heard of.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of lots of guys running on plugs at VERY VERY high speeds.

The problem you can run into is that many shops will not plug a performance tire. Liability comes into play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather