OVERBORE ADVICE ...please help

tristan rizzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELP
Can someone please tell me if a GEN I cyclinder liner is capable of supporting a .030 overbore??? Will the wall be too thin?? If this is the case what is the maximum that it can support. Secondly if it can support the overbore what are the best pistons for the job??
Thanks Tristan

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try taking a look at this from the other end. Find the piston you want to use and verify it will come in the size you need. If your block will clean at .020 then take a look at that. I don't think .030 is any concern however, double check my advice. If you are going for pistons, lighter is good, but not too light, shortens the engine life, also keep the ring lands as close to the top as possible. Reasons if you need em.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Woodhouse:
If you are going for pistons, lighter is good, but not too light, shortens the engine life, also keep the ring lands as close to the top as possible. Reasons if you need em.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob,
I was just curious why it would be good to keep the piston ring land close to the top of the piston? I thought it was better to keep it lower.

Your advice is appreciated,
Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21