Overheated Viper -- consequences and next steps

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you will remember my overheating saga -- my '01 would start inexplicably running hot, then suddenly cool down. I changed radiator, thermostat, and bled the system until I was blue in the face, all to no avail. Ted May at Valaya Racing finally diagnosed the problem as a bad water pump (plastic impeller cracked -- it IS a poor design) and after replacing the pump all has been well. Unfortunately, during the time between first noticing the problem and finally getting a fix, my car overheated several times -- never severely, but enough to make the temp light come on.

The prior overheating caught up with me last night -- I noted white vapor blowing out of the tailpipe, similar to the normal condensation you see when the car is cold. Unfortunately, this vapor didn't disappear as the car warmed up, and had the distinctive sweet smell of coolant. My coolant level had also mysteriously dropped. With a gracious pickup from Ted this morning, I babied the car down to his shop and we confirmed that coolant was leaking into the rear passenger-side cylinder through a blown head gasket.

So... question: recommendations on types of and sources for head gaskets? Anyone running all-copper gaskets? Assume I'll continue to increase the car's power output over the next couple years...

obFutureNote: since I'm going to pull both heads off and replace the gaskets, I'm sooooorely tempted to go a bit further and do some additional engine modifications. More on this subject after I do a bit more research.

Reaction score
Hi Ben,
I am aware of your past and now present problem. There's no reason you should be in need of copper head gaskets. I wouldn't recommend you using them with your cast piston bottom end. In light of your problem, your lucky you had the stock gaskets to provide a weak-link for your misfortune. I suspect other reasons (with prior overheating in mind) caused your head gasket failure. It may (or may not) make you feel better to know there are lots of cars out there making big power with stock head gaskets.

I can offer you some valuable technical info if you would like to call me at your earliest convenience.

Sorry to hear of your mishap,
Doug

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you moniter Lean/Rich condition while showering?Is the dealer gonna fix,race car with a warrenty!Either case you'll be back on the streets shortly.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do monitor A/F, and the car's always run rich both at WOT and on NOS. I believe this is a straight-up case of overheating damaging the head gasket and leading to failure. And no, I don't even bother to ask my dealer to warranty the drivetrain -- one look inside the engine compartment is all it would take
smile.gif

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Plastic impellers? Is it just the newer models that have that? I have a 1998 and hopefully, I don't have plastic impellers...I just found out I had a plastic gas pedal!!! No more plastic!! So what's the answer on the impellers? Plastic or no plastic?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam,

Your whole Viper is nearly all plastic (or some other type of non metal) if you think about it.

Gerald

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing as you have the heads off anyway you should port and polish your heads. It is worth 35 rwhp at least!!! Only problem is a little longer down time

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01 Vipers check your water pumps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
redface.gif

We came across one last week! I don't now what Knucklehead came up with this BRILLIANT IDEA,
confused.gif
but the water pump had a PLASTIC IMPELLER!! THIS WAS ON AN 01 ACR!! ON THE TRACK!

YOU MIGHT GET AWAY WITH THIS ON A UGO BUT NOT ON A VIPER!!

Who ever came up with this should be Drawn and Quartered!!
dead.gif

I'll find out when they started with PLASTIC, and I'll kept everybody posted!!
pissed.gif

"I think they all should be replaced!"
devil.gif

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Seeing as you have the heads off anyway you should port and polish your heads. It is worth 35 rwhp at least!!! Only problem is a little longer down time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hee hee hee. Newbies. Gotta love 'em
smile.gif

http://www.treynor.com/ViperMods.html

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Treynor, Sweet car, **** about the gaskets, though better them than something else. Though Mike isn't a Newbie, He's got a badass 98GTS with a tonne of mods.

Just credit where credit is due, that's all.

Craig

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude