Owner Review; Ford GT vs. Viper ACR (Long, w/photos)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great writeup except for this: "The Viper is slated for extinction in 2009" Where's that been stated?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very impressive writing skills.
Only someone with such passion and respect for these cars could capture the true essence of these two wonderful machines.
Thank you for taking the time to share your enthusiasm for owning two of the top cars on the planet.

Oh, and I come down to Miller every so often, maybe I'll hit you up for that ride in the GT ;)

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the exhaust. My father went to high school (Cinti OH) with Carol Shelby and in the 60's I had the pleasure to ride and drive a 427 484 HP cobra and a ford GT. I was much more impressed with the cobra. That was then and I was 18. I forget why (the 60's)! As an 08 viper owner I have to agree with the sound. The mustang, vet has a better sound to me (I had enough vet's and wouldn't own either) I would love to find a system that gave the viper a better sound than, I wouldn't say UPS, but the grumble sound it has. My wife has a 10 cylinder Audi so its not the ten cylinder thing I have been told before. Will the Corsa do it?
Two vipers or one GT. A no brainier. I'll get on my 9 sec R1 Yamaha and slam em both. On the track the viper has more bang for the buck.

My other 2 Vipers did sound like a UPS truck, but I don't think the 08 does. My wife keeps telling me it does not sound stock and is wondering if I had the pipes changed before I got it delivered. I actually like the way the 08 sounds. It sounds pretty wicked stock. :2tu:

Last edited:

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My other 2 Vipers did sound like a UPS truck, but I don't think the 08 does. My wife keeps telling me it does not sound stock and is wondering if I had the pipes changed before I got it delivered. I actually like the way the 08 sounds. It sounds pretty wicked stock. :2tu:

I have to agree with you. My ACR does NOT sound anything like my 06 did, but then again, it also seems louder than some of the Non ACR 08's. :)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll start the bidding at $200. Not that I need the kidney, but it's hard for me to pass up a good deal :D
LOL.

I don't see why the supposed "multi-millionaire" with the ACR for sale, doesn't man up and donate the car to Chuck. Hell, Chuck is such a strong advocate for the Viper line that Chrysler should man up as well and give him one. That would leave Chuck with 2 ACR's.

:2tu: I like your style. :D

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the write up but have to disagree with the exhaust note deal.
slap on some Belangers and you have an awesome, fantastic sounding car.
sounds very exotic.
makes you want to up and down shift just for the heck of it.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too BAD Dodge did not offer Option 101 for Track Use: Roll Cage.......

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point Frank.

For example.. these race Mustangs for Ford are built in the facility I work in. Full cage, carbon parts, etc.. and also offer FIA GT series homologation. These are very successful and competitive race cars, built by the top shelf world renown motorsport experts.

For True Believers Only - AutoWeek Magazine

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on 2 very nice cars. I am a little biased, my pick is the ACR. On top of that, even though I admire the GT, it is a Ford. I will never give a red cent to Ford. I have my reasons, trust me.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point Frank.

For example.. these race Mustangs for Ford are built in the facility I work in. Full cage, carbon parts, etc.. and also offer FIA GT series homologation. These are very successful and competitive race cars, built by the top shelf world renown motorsport experts.

For True Believers Only - AutoWeek Magazine

Are you guys forgetting about the Comp Coupe? These are great times to be a Dodge fan. An outright race car, a race/street car and a street car that does pretty dang good on it's own.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck.. we all love you and can never argue. Yes, the ACR is fantastic, just babbling about a roll cage.. sorry if it seemed anything more.. otherwise, I'll take an ACR asap, and it is great that it is being manufactured in today's economic green climate.

How can I forget the Comp Coupe.. this company built the first prototype for Chrysler back then.

Multimatic Inc.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately agree about exhaust.After going from my modded GEN 2 (Bellangers -3 inch pipes (no cats )Borlas- my 08 does sound a little lame.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys forgetting about the Comp Coupe? These are great times to be a Dodge fan. An outright race car, a race/street car and a street car that does pretty dang good on it's own.

Chuck....We all know that you are really not a racer & would never want to see a Roll Cage in the ACR, since its real home is in the Garage. Come on Chuck....Get with it....You've been sitting on the fence for years now. The CC is 6 years old (almost) & you still don't have one...This is the 2nd run of the ACR & we havn't heard of you ordering one....Just driving someone elses....

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck....We all know that you are really not a racer & would never want to see a Roll Cage in the ACR, since its real home is in the Garage. Come on Chuck....Get with it....You've been sitting on the fence for years now. The CC is 6 years old (almost) & you still don't have one...This is the 2nd run of the ACR & we havn't heard of you ordering one....Just driving someone elses....

His kidney is still on ebay, you pr1ck. Give him a break, convince the "multi-millionaire" ACR seller to donate his ACR to Chuck or ****.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck did provide some inspiration last summer, old pics of my red GTS with a really tall roll hoop.

You must be registered for see images

Glad he had a sense of humor when I posted those! :omg: Neighbors have yet to ask about the racing number.. they already know I'm nuts..

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:rolaugh: Keep putting the pressure on me Frank. It's not like I haven't gone broke already tracking the hell outta #34. But richer days are coming. Keep the faith.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck did provide some inspiration last summer, old pics of my red GTS with a really tall roll hoop.

Glad he had a sense of humor when I posted those! :omg: Neighbors have yet to ask about the racing number.. they already know I'm nuts..

LOL that cracks me up. The thing is that mower looks better than my GTS. LOL

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I write and shoot for various automotive magazines, and would like to compliment you on your writing skills. If you aren't already writing for them, you should consider it as a fun hobby.

Tony

jessewallace

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thank you for the write up. the ford gt is my all time fav car & the red/white combo is my all time fav color combo. however the ford gt is just a little out of my price range.
nice to hear that you're actually enjoying the ford gt & putting some real seat time in it!

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I gotta tell you, I came up on a 2005 GT-40 when I was on a VERY straight, VERY flat and VERY empty road. I came up along side him and we did that little smile that most of you know well. We both hit it HARD and I could not catch him. I was on his tail, VERY close, but never able to pass him. I was running it high into the RPM range with each gear. I could not catch the GT (I'm stock - don't know about his.)

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope it's ok to bring up a thread that's a few months old. This comparison was incredible. I absolutely love the FGT and thought you did a fantastic job! To the OP, I'm in the Phoenix area and would love to see your car someday if you're ever up for it or at a local club meeting.:D

Congrats on two fantastic cars!:2tu:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up! I would love to have a GT to go with my ACR but I might just buy another ACR in a different color. It would definitely be a hard choice. I've driven my '08 black w/red stripes ACR extensively on the race track since I picked it up at Woodhouse in May. I'm still trying to be enough driver to find it's limits, but I'm getting better. Wait until you start using slicks, and changing the ride height, suspension settings, etc. It's like finding a different car every time you drive it. I almost have mine dialed in but now I'm waiting on the new PCM so here we go with the new car thing again! Enjoy the ride and I love both of your cars!

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cherly,

Nice Ranch! BTW, time to update picture number 4 with the ACR.

I don't dare show your website to my wife, she'd be jealous. She's also a horse lover. She got her first Friesian a couple of years ago.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Witty,
I hate you. You made me go out and purchased an ACR after reading your review at the Ford GT forum. I'm now over $100K poorer... But a lot happier though.
Great review and even greater reading it again here. :2tu:
Happy New Year Everyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21