Paging TOM, paging Tom, "Fluid and Lubes Geek of the Realm"!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Royal Purple basically beat them all, interesting because I believe it was here that I read to never use Royal Purple. I'll dump Mobil 1, like a hot potato tomorrow if there is any truth here. Thanks for the article Vic.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is almost the same test that RP touts on their website. Not saying it's not a valid test or that RP isn't a great oil, but just interesting that this article would use this test exclusively and not go into the other factors that make a great oil. Also interested to hear what Tom chimes in with since I basically do whatever he says when it comes to oil, which is why Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck is in the Viper right now.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to email Tom, he hasn't been on this site for awhile. I sent him a couple of ***, never heard back from him.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found this interesting previous post of Toms:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/624993-mobile-1-or-royal-purple?highlight=mobil+royal+purple

I am going to continue using Mobil 1 TDT until Tom tells me otherwise. I would probably put ketchup in my crankcase if he told me to cuz he is the man.

icon1.png
Re: mobile 1 or royal purple?
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by adamlotus
they brought a machine out i think they have it on there website of rp test

Tom's Reply:

If the machine has an electric motor, torque wrench, weights, and metal rollers or balls (or at least three out of these four) then you were fooled.

There are obsolete grease and gear oil testers that aren't even used by grease and gear oil developers anymore. They respond to different chemicals than should be used in engine oil (either corrosive to engine bearings or chlorinated materials that are environmentally hazardous). There are no parts inside an engine like what this equipment evaluates.

Did I win the guessing game?

Last edited:

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Good work, Got Vnum

I like Tom's observation here-
"There are no parts inside an engine like what this equipment evaluates."

That's what I was thinking- Although this test procedure makes one brand look superior, it may not be realistic, because engines don't exert the exact same mechanical forces on the lubricant. I think an engine puts more compression force on the lube, and less shear forces. Like when the rod is pushing down on the crank journal, it is squeezing the oil out from between the two surfaces in compression, and the shear froce is secondary. Having said that, I'm still not sure. Where's Tom when you need him? (boo-hoo!) 8^)

I've used Mobil 1 exclusively in a couple of vehicles that went over 180,000 miles each. They did not burn oil between 6k mile change intervals, and had no engine problems related to lubrication.

When I pulled the lifters out of my GTS after about 46k miles, (also used M1 from day 1) they only showed polishing in the contact area, where they pump up and down. If you ran your finger accross
the edge of the colored area, there was no perceptible ridge. I know 46k isn't that much, but damm, they sure were smooth.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom's busy. He's workin' but I suspect he'll be back.............? This guy is a car lover, an ex-cobra guy and part time machinist... I'd like to meet him. Anyone who DDs a gen 1 into the ground is a guy I want to know.

Good luck to you Tom.

OP
OP
Vic

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
......DDs?

Oh, daily drives

Forum statistics

Threads
Members