Paint Bubbles are back after almost a year.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of the Viper Gen II owners have “Paint Bubbles”. This topic has been discussed over and over.

I had my hood repainted about 11 months ago. No problems until now. The bubbles are back. I did not sand down to the fiberglass. I will this time. I know that I need to sand completely down and let a heat lamp set on it for a few days.

If you had bubbles in the past and sanded completely down, did the problem ever re-appear? (more than a year later)

The Vipers that have this problem are beyond the 3 year 36k mile warranty. Has anyone been covered under a free repaint of the effected body panel by Dodge?

Are there any recommendations before I try and fix this problem once again?

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old Viper a 1999 GTS had paint bubbles but only in the winter, when the weather warmed up or the garage was heated for some shop work the bubbles dissappeared.

Friend with a 97 GTS had the same, it was painted and heated but next winter the bubbles came back.

On of my friends who worked for Lotus said it happens and may well be moisture in the resin..

I just learned to live with it in the winter I rarely use it.....Just my 10 cents

OP
OP
J

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That could be my problem. Now that it is very cold out = bubbles came back.

Prior to having it painted, the bubbles would show often after a wash = Cold and wet.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be 1 of 2 things.Likely poor resin cure/mix trapped pockets out gassing or draining.In boats poorly done hulls bubble.Not due to out gassing/bleeding but absorption of water through the gel coat into the substrate.Porosity and trying to dilute chemicals trapped in the substrate causing water bubbles.A very well done hull in polyester resin is mostly impervious however an epoxy coat over the gel coat mostly prevents the problem.In a high end boat only vinyl ester resins are used below the water line.The cure seems to be the same for boat or car.Remove outer layer and apply heat to completely dry out.Apply vinyl ester resin or an epoxy coat to prevent further outbrakes.AND I'm not even sure exactly what a viper body is made out of however I doubt the water absorption thing which is common to good value for the dollar and entry level boats even if some of them are 40+ feet is whats happening to a Viper.The water exposure thing usually occures only after prolonged exposure in a slipped enviornment and not trailered boat.I have a hard time believing a viper body which is painted and polished is adsorbing moisture from car wash exposure. GTS Bruce