Paint bubbles

trimjc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have some paint bubbles on the driver and passenger kick plates (in front of side exhaust)

Is this normal with the 1994 red viper?

Something that can be sanded down and repainted?

I am located in Phoenix AZ. Can you suggest a shop?

Thank You
Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I glanced through the threads and did not find (at least with a cursory review) any threads on the specific condition shown in his pic. What you have is corrosion of the aluminum and the correction must include full removal of the corroded area. This may require aluminum welding to fix it right. The corrosion occurs in the vinity of the rivits and where the heat shielding comes in contact with the aluminum. If you search for side sill corrosion you should find posts on that specific condition.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
usually the sign of a repaint.
Absolutely not! I had my 1995 sills replaced under warranty in 1998. Several other owners experienced this also in the same time period as we had 3 cars get new sills at the same time. Found out later the worst thing you could do was get the insulation wet (like by washing the car) and put the car away (versus driving it and drying the insulation out).

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have some paint bubbles on the driver and passenger kick plates (in front of side exhaust)

Is this normal with the 1994 red viper?

Something that can be sanded down and repainted?

I am located in Phoenix AZ. Can you suggest a shop?

Thank You
Jerry

Not sure what that is that is red is in your picture between the hood, side sill and door. Part of the door seal? Whatever it is, it should not be red so I would suspect something has been repainted.

Corrosion will form if the side sills get wet inside and do not dry out. The corrosion location is where your cats are located inside the side sills and the cats often burn the paint in this area if they get really hot from the car running rich or just plain spirited driving.

Corrosion not properly repaired (bondo and repaint) will soon cause the paint bubbling and corrosion to come back. Side sills are aluminum and corrosion must be cut out and properly repaired. You don't even want to ask about side sill replacement cost.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The corrosion is due to the dissimilar metals (aluminum side sill and steel frame) in contact. Being wet "may" accelerate the process, but is not the cause. The fix from Dodge was to use the galvanized side sill screws because the galvanized surface acts as a sacrificial metal in the corrosion process. (I guess that means you should replace those screws periodically.)

The real cure is to keep the aluminum from touching the steel. Usually the paint would do this. I have had surprising good luck (~10 years on replacement set) by placing duct tape on the steel body and on the inside of the sill, where the two would make contact, before reinstalling. I also used Home Depot sheet metal screws that come with captive sealing washers (steel washer with rubber washer insert.) Think of the idea as electically isolating the side sill from the car.

I'm not a paint expert, but would think that sanding, prepping, and repainting the sill would fix the bubbles. Then you need something like the above description from having it happen again.

You would think the engineers would have known - this issue is what ate up original Cobras when the aluminum panels were riveted to the frame.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a top quality repair, look up 10th Street Auto Body. Unlike the name they are actually just north of 40th street and I10. If you go to their shop, you'll see why I recommend them. They work on some fantastic cars. I think the guys name is William.

The Finishing Touch body shop in Fountain Hills also works on high end cars.

I know either one of these shops knows how to repair the aluminum sills correctly.