Paint my license plate?

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please post pics for us to see, I have thought to do this many times, and I have heard it is illegal. There is one guy around here who has an old red el camino and his license plates have red airbrushed along the bottom edge. He has had no problems, but thats because of his age, I know if civics and eclipses start busting out colorful plates the cops will be all over it.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember years ago my dad's front plate had nearly all of the paint chipped off from rock chips etc. I painted the letters black and the background the exact same color - an off white - just like they were stock. A few months later my dad goes through inspection and they asked him about the front plate being repainted. He said yes it was repainted and the inspection guy commented on how neatly it was done. At the end of the line they put a "failed inspection" sticker on his car for altering the front plate and that he needed to get a new set. This was about 15-18 years ago here in NJ. Inspection has only gotten worse. Actually I haven't been back through inspection here in NJ for 12 years...I just get my stickers from people.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess would be that you will NOT be pulled over specifically because of your plate design. However, an officer certainly will mention it to you in addition to whatever reason he/she had for pulling you over in the first place. Most likely they will give you a "fix it" ticket (no points, just a fine).

By the way, the MGW clear plastic that covers the plate is illegal here in CA. I had an officer inform me of that after getting pulled over for speeding (seperate issue, no biggie). I was told that some officers may cite me a fix it ticket.

-Will

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21