Paint

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I realize that painting your Viper a non-OEM color, or worse, a Remster-style dolphin **** mural will ultimately depreciate the car. But, say you just wanted to have it repainted because the color had faded, there were too many little scratches, etc. Would you stick with OEM Dodge paint, or would you go for top shelf paint?

I might be having my car repainted, and I want to know what the crowd considers the best black paint on the market (shine, resistance to scratches, etc.) and whether or not I should just stick with OEM Dodge paint.

Thanks!

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was repainted purely for the reasons you said- small scratches, etc. Color is intentionally a little different than stock- more of a Candy-apple red. The previous owner picked Sikkens (sp?) paint and I have received nothing but raves about it.

Regardless, the quality of the prep work and person doing the job is going to be far more important than what brand of paint you choose.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking cap on...

Here's what I would do.... Take pictures of you car before the paint job, and hold the daily paper indicating the date. Do the same thing after the repaint, and make sure the receipt shows the date. Sounds silly, but at least you now have proof that the your Viper was not re-painted due to an accident. IMO, this is the main reason repaints depreciate the value of a car - people think it has been in an accident. If you can prove that is hasn't, I can't see why it would hurt the value. Especially if it looks better than factory.

My .02

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jim McHugh @ 954.989.4285 he has painted about 15 cars for me. You can ask Doug how good the paint on my R/T looks. Who cares about resale make your car look good and enjoy it! Don't worry about the 1k you may or may not loose IF you sell it.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the best black paint on the market IMHO would be enamel... if you can find a shop willing to use it

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hum... Now you got me thinking. I like this color but have no idea how it would look on the Viper:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I also LOVE metallic orange but I have Cognac interior so it does not work.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a blue-white. For me, if I ever had to repaint it, I would definitely use the exact OEM color. I just like to keep things "original".

But I don't plan on ever selling it, so who cares?...only me. And like Bill said above, do what you want and enjoy it!

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I think flat black/primer black would look mean on a GTS. Like some of the old school hot rods....
I saw one like that in Atlanta about 5 years ago. It looked fantastic he had done the wheels to match. Very "skunkworks".

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I was thinking Black Pearl for a unique look, but not sure it would compliment the lines as much as a deep, glossy black.

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I would do.... Take pictures of you car before the paint job, and hold the daily paper indicating the date. Do the same thing after the repaint, and make sure the receipt shows the date. Sounds silly, but at least you now have proof that the your Viper was not re-painted due to an accident. IMO, this is the main reason repaints depreciate the value of a car - people think it has been in an accident. If you can prove that is hasn't, I can't see why it would hurt the value. Especially if it looks better than factory.

OneRare, Very Clever!!!

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OneRare, I think flat black would be sweet. It would look great with flat black wheels with a satin silver lip. I tried to get someone to photoshop one a month or so ago, but no one stepped up.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking Black Pearl for a unique look, but not sure it would compliment the lines as much as a deep, glossy black.
The problem with black pearl IMHO is that it looks dirty.
Deep deep gloss black looks better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960