Painted Dash

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 rt/10.. what are my options here? My dash has gone to crap.

I have done plenty of searches for the last hour finding very few pictures, most of the links are too old and dont display the pictures anymore.

Does anyone sell kits? not just trim kits, i need the entire dash redone.
or do i have to resort to painting it?

My car is red, and i have seen some red painted dashes, looks kinda neat, but kinda sticks out too much.. what color would you recommend painting it?

Does anyone on this board do this on the side????? for some $ ?? I would really like it done by someone who knows what they are doing. but if you can purchase an entire dash somehow that might work too.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd paint it a flat black

here's a pic of mine after i had it painted. that stock material scratches so easily & looks horrible.

big improvement IMO

6061dashafter.JPG

a friend of mine did it who owns a body shop.

i'll have to ask him exactly what he used

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had mine painted identical to Tim721.
10 minutes to take out of car.
Took it to the local car repair shop. They striped it and painted for $125.
Two days later it was back in the car.
Took it from crappy to snappy. :headbang:

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thanks for the pics... tough decision here, im not sure if i like the glossy shiney painted dashes... but that flat black one looks awesome, looks very factory. but the red to match the exterior paint is tempting.. looks just kinda cheesy i dont know what to do.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
By far the nicest looking one is the one second from the bottom!

Hey wait a minute - that's my dash. Did it myself - so especially proud of the outcome. Lot's of elbow grease to get the old stuff off - but someone mentioned that "Easy Off" oven cleaner might help to strip off the old paint. The prep work is the key to a nice outcome. Used krylon flat black and flat clear for the main part of the dash and Viper Red ordered from paintscratch for the bezels. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine painted identical to Tim721.
10 minutes to take out of car.
Took it to the local car repair shop. They striped it and painted for $125.
Two days later it was back in the car.
Took it from crappy to snappy. :headbang:

yeah i do like that flat black.. do you have to sand it if your doing the flat black? Just take it to an auto shop and say i want it flat black? and done?

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where to get the carbon fiber dash? Can you get it in red? Who makes it?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my .02 worth (and yes, I know I'm overpricing myself)...If you paint the dash red, paint the rest of the interior trim pieces black. The red/gray combo just doesnt work for me. If you go with black, I think I'd paint the rest another color as well, Im just not sure what I think would look best.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd paint it a flat black

here's a pic of mine after i had it painted. that stock material scratches so easily & looks horrible.

big improvement IMO

6061dashafter.JPG

a friend of mine did it who owns a body shop.

i'll have to ask him exactly what he used

I love it, so much so I think that the project Viper is going to get this instead of the body color originally in the plans.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible to put a later model black dash in the car? does dodge still sell those? or are they like 8 million dollars from the dealership?

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is still possible to buy the dash. Do a search for part numbers, but as I recall, it was not to painful to buy!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say if your dash is already in need of replacement, you might as well go for a nicely dressed up aftermarket dash.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is still possible to buy the dash. Do a search for part numbers, but as I recall, it was not to painful to buy!

Dodge no longer sells the black dash or trim pieces for it.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my dash painted. It was gray, the guy that had my car before me painted it satin black. IMO it looked very cheap. So I had it painted Viper Black. It looks good.

You must be registered for see images

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my dash painted. It was gray, the guy that had my car before me painted it satin black. IMO it looked very cheap. So I had it painted Viper Black. It looks good.

Use the same paint used on those toes?

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL

is your car black? I would love to see pictures of it on the car! none of the pictures on this page had a shiney black.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL

is your car black? I would love to see pictures of it on the car! none of the pictures on this page had a shiney black.

lol, yes its the same paint. ;) The car is red, I am putting it in now. I will post some pics when it is done.

Patrick

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I pulled out the rest of the interior and I am having it dyed black this weekend. I will post some pics of the dash/interior when I get it back togeather.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '97 GTS. Any tips on taking the dash out? I took both knee panels (below the dash) out which gave me access to most of the dash screws. It still seems to be on pretty tight, though. What am I missing? Thanks, Rob

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to take the radio bezel out, there are some screws there, alos there on the side of the dash. The top of the dash os on with clips, you just have to pull hard and it will pop out. You also have to take out the headlight knob. On the top of the switch behind the dash, there is a button. Hold the botton down and pull the knob out. It will turn the lights on. When you get the dash out slide the knob back in and it will turn the lights off.

Patrick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960