Painting stripes ... how much?

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I get ever closer to my purchase of a Viper, I've noticed how difficult it is to find a vehicle with a stripe package. Most seem to be stripeless and I'm dead set on stripes (red with white stripes, etc).

My questions is, what's involved in painting stripes on a GTS? I'm assuming the areas where the striping takes place will need to be totally stripped and repainted. How much am I looking at here for a factory-level job? Ballpark figures please, as I know prices will differ from shop to shop and regionally.

Anyone know a good shop in the Sarasota/Tampa area for this?

I know some people buy stick-on stripes, but I don't want to do that.

Thanks! :)

REMIX

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For most model years, the stripe is vinyl applied after the clearcoat. It is actually an easy aftermarket addition.

I believe there is a recipe for do it youselfers in the "How to" section of the site and there have been some very detailed threads on the subject.

Bottom line, you are looking at a small cost relative to your total cash outlay.

Good luck.

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting red stripes on my 97 Sapphire (has red "viper gts" logos on the sides and back). What do you all think?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One well know mid-western dealer says $3000 for painted stripes and they can't make money at it. This is, of course, doing it right. Re-clearing the whole car so you don't see the ridge between the colors. You could probably have a professional do vinyl stripes. That way they can be removed if the next owner wants to be stripeless. I had white vinyl stripes on my red 02 GTS and when trade in time came, the dealer said 'take em off!'

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For most model years, the stripe is vinyl applied after the clearcoat. It is actually an easy aftermarket addition.

I believe there is a recipe for do it youselfers in the "How to" section of the site and there have been some very detailed threads on the subject.

Bottom line, you are looking at a small cost relative to your total cash outlay.

Good luck.

Are you sure. I observed them getting painted on at ASC. Laser scribing and all.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All factory stripes are painted on top of the clear coat. As for telling if they are factory stripes, there is a second paint code listed on the car for the stripe color.

The only Red and white striped vipers are 2002 Final Editions. All other stripes on red cars are silver.

Approx. 1 in 4 GTS's are striped from the factory.

I would guess the stripes would be $1,500 to $3,000 depending on the quality.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REMIX,

Contact Clayton at Standard Collision in Sildell, LA. He recently completed an entire off body paint job on my GTS including silver stripes. My stripes are under the clear so you can't feel the edge of the stripe.

Clayton is the owner and Viper owner and always has 2-3 Vipers in his shop. I took my car to him all the way from Houston.

Go here: Standard Collision

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory stripes are painted on. East Coast performance painted black stripes on my silver ACR and applied a claercoat on top. Absolutely perfect job in every way. Expect to spend ~ $2,000 for a quality job. Vinyl stripes are too rice-like for me.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can defenately suggest the best custom paint guy in Tampa, he is Rodney Sestor (Sentor) from the car shows he puts up. He will paint them and get them done perfectly. What color car are you looking for? If red, please go with silver stripes or it will be a huge candy cane like Gerald's :) If steel grey, go with silver se well....silver makes it looks **** and **** at the same time.

OP
OP
R

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect to buy a red car. I really want a yeller but the prices are gonna be more than I'll want to spend all at once without developing a bleeding ulcer.

REMIX

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking, what do non factory stripes do to the cars value? :confused: I'd like to match my cobra, yellow with black stripes. I like wider stripes than what I've seen on the coupes.My cobra has 8" stripes rather than the factory 6". I think it sets the car off better,that's why I'm leaning toward the vinyl ones.WIDER! Not that I plan to sell either one anytime soon!

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'M PUTTING SILVER VINYL STRIPES ON MY RED GTS NEXT WEEK, AND I'LL POST PICS WHEN DONE. I DEBATED WITH WHITE AND BLACK BUT DECIDED ON SILVER. I AGREE, THAT IN ADDITION TO COST, THE FACT THAT THEY CAN BE REMOVED IS A PLUS. I ALSO AGREE THAT EVERY VIPER SHOULD BE DONE TO SATISFY THE OWNER, NO ONE ELSE.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960