Parking / Ebrake adjustment?

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996 RT/10 with about 27k miles. Unknown when or if brakes were last replaced. When I pull the parking/ebrake it comes right up to it's stop with no tension and no application of the brakes. Is there an adjustment or a known issue that I should check first with this?

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is take off the rear wheels and check to see if you have any pads left.
I wouldn't drive the car until you check them.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These installation pictures will help you see if the brake cable is unhooked at the caliper.

How to Install

My number is listed on the site if you want to call.

As Dave said, the rachet mechanism inside the handle could be broken, and there is also a cable "T" to connect the two rear cables to the one cable of the handle that could have come unhooked.

What happens if you pull up on the handle while stepping on the brake pedal?

OP
OP
B

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not tried stepping on the brake and pulling at the same time. Will try that asap and let you know.

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar problem and need some advice. In my 1994 RT/10, sometimes I pull the parking brake handle and it pulls all the way up with no effort. When this happens, I can lower the handle and pull it up slowly and feel tension (i.e. it works normally). I've checked the rear cables and they seem fine? What could I look for at the handle?

OP
OP
B

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have found hitting the brakes and pulling the handle works much better. You might try that too.

Robgen1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a similar problem and need some advice. In my 1994 RT/10, sometimes I pull the parking brake handle and it pulls all the way up with no effort. When this happens, I can lower the handle and pull it up slowly and feel tension (i.e. it works normally). I've checked the rear cables and they seem fine? What could I look for at the handle?

Must be a 94 thing, exact same issue with mine.
Robert

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ratchet in the handle must be stuck. When you have the brake on, push the button to let the handle down, the mechanism under the button to disengage the teeth stays disengaged. Then the next time you pull up, since it is not engaged, it doesn't pull on the cables. Moving it probably then loosened the ratchet system so the second time works. just a guess.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same symptom with my 2006, handbrake works better with foot on the brake pedal.
I had mine checked by the dealer this week and they said "no problem"......but what do they know?
Tony

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the '06 parking brake is a completely separate caliper from the hydraulic brake, so it should not make any difference, ever, whether your foot is on the pedal.