Parking lot jitters.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my GTS to the mall, groceries, Costco, etc. Since it is small and low, it usually ends up hidden besides some SUV or minivan. So after shopping, when I'm heading back to the car, I get these jitters because I can't spot it until I'm really close. It's like, "Some :curse: has stolen it!". :eek: And then I see a stripe and feel a sense of relief.

10 years and the feeling is still there everytime I'm in an unsecured lot. My GTS is giving me PTS (Parking Trauma Syndrome). Am I alone? Is there a cure?

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, no matter how far from any other car you park, by the time you get back some idiots will have undoubtedly parked next to you. :evilmad:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to get a ****** Avi, Vipers don't do groceries and Costco.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask chad (and many others) about leaving your viper unattended, then come back and tell us if you are going to do it again or not.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
..... I get these jitters because I can't spot it until I'm really close. It's like, "Some ___ has stolen it!". And then I see a stripe and feel a sense of relief. 10 years and the feeling is still there everytime I'm in an unsecured lot. My GTS is giving me PTS (Parking Trauma Syndrome). Am I alone? Is there a cure?

1) Professional Help? They help PTSD people all the time!

2) Drive SOB with no emotional investment. (Some Other Brand)

3) PTS + PTSD + USPS + *** = Going Postal BIG TIME

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive my GTS to the mall, groceries, Costco, etc. Since it is small and low, it usually ends up hidden besides some SUV or minivan. So after shopping, when I'm heading back to the car, I get these jitters because I can't spot it until I'm really close. It's like, "Some :curse: has stolen it!". :eek: And then I see a stripe and feel a sense of relief.

10 years and the feeling is still there everytime I'm in an unsecured lot. My GTS is giving me PTS (Parking Trauma Syndrome). Am I alone? Is there a cure?

Good post! FUNNY!
This is the only way I get any excercise- walking from the farside of the parking lots :)
BTW, I have a theory about door dings.... I think it's small kids that actually do most of them... Lately I have seen my 8 yr daughter kick open door with her foot... NOT GOOD. I quickly put an end to that.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Park further out !

We take ours shopping all the time...but park out far enough that your average shoppers aren't going to park near the car.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Park further out !

We take ours shopping all the time...but park out far enough that your average shoppers aren't going to park near the car.

There is an easier solution to this problem- just get a Corvette to use as your everyday grocery getter.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact feeling when I can't see my car. But after a few times I know not to panic.

Now I try to park farther out but there's still always some idiot in a beat up pick up that has to park next to you to make his car look better. :evilmad:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, I have to disagree about the door dings observation. I've sat in my car (not Viper) when some **** pulls up and bangs my car when he opens his door. When I get out and yell at him he tells me to take it easy it's "only a car". If it had been the Viper I'd probably be in jail right now.

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about a hijack. When I was talking of jitters, my concern was about the car being stolen and not door dings!

Over the years, I've got scratches galore, rock chips, dings but since the car is 10 years old on original paint, it's part of the deal. It still turns heads, just not at a VCA meet. :D

For 10 years, I have only 24K miles to show but I drive it whenever I can and that's not a lot these days because I'm married with 3 kids. Before marriage, I did about 8000 miles/year. Now I manage a meager 1000 miles/year and most of it is VCA meet or Costco, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. :eek:

The performance is still great and that is what matters the most to me. The Viper is not an investment for me. It's a way of life and not being able to drive it during the few opportunities I have would make it a luxury item: a garage queen. That is never what I had in mind.

Thanks for your opinions. :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if the responses were necessarily a highjack toolman. in a nut shell, i think we are all trying to say the same thing - to guard against thieves, door dings, people sitting on your hood to get a pic (my experience), etc, always try to keep the car in your sight - it WILL keep the negative experiences down, trust me.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if the responses were necessarily a highjack toolman. in a nut shell, i think we are all trying to say the same thing - to guard against thieves, door dings, people sitting on your hood to get a pic (my experience), etc, always try to keep the car in your sight - it WILL keep the negative experiences down, trust me.

I agree. When I am parking, I am trying to park as far as I can from other cars not only to avoid door dings but also so I can keep an eye on the car. With the size of the car it's pretty easy to get lost in a sea of suv's.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue when driving my GTS, but for some reason it’s not as bad with the SRT/10. I think the Gen I & II Vipers stand out so much more. Their very “in your face” so if some A-hole is around, the chances are greater to spot a Gen I or II than a III. Also I think the stripe's draw a lot of attention. I used to leave my wallet, etc. in the car to give me an excuse to go out and check on.

Bottom line, enjoy it. It’s a material thing and can be fixed. Get all the pleasure you can out of it for who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Imagine what the Lambo and Ferrari guys go through. At least we drive American.